INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposed standards for Ogg-Vorbis comments  (Read 703 times)

LCtheDJ

Proposed standards for Ogg-Vorbis comments
« on: September 01, 2002, 01:01:50 pm »

One of the things I had to adjust to is, whereas in mp3 files we have 'ID3 tags', in Ogg Vorbis files we have 'comments'.  In mp3, 'comments' is one field; in Ogg Vorbis 'comments' refers to the entire tagging.  There is also a single field designated 'COMMENT' or as JRiver calls it, 'DESCRIPTION'.

It seems that the Ogg Vorbis format is so flexible that anyone can do just about anything they want with it.  My concern is that if this happens, the format will be just as useless as if everyone used a different format; information entered one place could not be read in another.

While searching for Ogg Vorbis related information, I came across this page and would like to recommend that developers (JRiver) look it over and choose to support it as a sort of "standards".

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html

roving cowboy

RE:Proposed standards for Ogg-Vorbis comments
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 01:25:08 pm »

that page is a good idea  setting standards for making them.

for the ogg format is a free open source one  that can tend to be rather user bia's on some things.  

the setting of standards is not in anyway i can see making it a lic. format just making it a better open source which is what it was meant to be,  one that was built upon by the users to make a better format then mp3s.    

Now if someone would put the use of ogg on hand helds and other portable players :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up