INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server & Video (again...)  (Read 833 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Library Server & Video (again...)
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:29:06 am »

(I've had a dig around and nothing seems to give me a definitve answer)

Trying to use MC12 as a library server... Supported audio is fine. Video, not so fine.

Playing back any video that I have ripped (Xvid / DivX / ...) downloads the entire file before video playback begins. = Slow =  :( (This has been noted in many threads)
Are there any plans to change this?

I was fooling around with GeexBox, which connected to MC's uPnP server and was able to play video immediately (albeit unreliably).

If the Library Server cannot play video immediately, can MC be configured to access (at least it's own) uPnP servers, so that it can begin playback immediately?

Also, I noticed that when the MC client downloads the video file it is downloading it to the IE cache, but it is not getting deleted afterward (a problem for my little disk)... can this be configured to d/l to a different location and/or force deletion as soon as the file has stopped being played?

I have seen that a preferred option may be to set up media library sharing... does MC12 now lockout the database on write (ie avoid multi-write conflicts)? If this is the case (as I think I recall reading), can I make a feature suggestion... Let each client set its own base path to the library, and data files with an abstraction layer to the real paths... I guess this is essentially what using the library server does, but it does not allow direct access to the files the way a share would (or uPnP for that matter)

Cheers.

[Edit]
PS. My client cannot seem to find the server when doing a search. Finds it fine if I specify manually... (12.0.151 and for a fair while prior)
[/Edit]

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: Library Server & Video (again...)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:39:26 am »

I have seen that a preferred option may be to set up media library sharing... does MC12 now lockout the database on write (ie avoid multi-write conflicts)?

Found ... http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Sharing_a_media_library_with_multiple_users_on_a_home_network_%28LAN%29

So, short answer... not on write, locks to first client to connect...

Pages: [1]   Go Up