INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose my next sound card for MJ !!  (Read 685 times)

pilzner

Help me choose my next sound card for MJ !!
« on: September 01, 2002, 08:05:10 am »

Ok...I just spent 3 hours going through a crazy amount of reviews and sites trying to decide what sound card to go with.

Having just upgraded to XP Pro, I found that my old card does not work with XP.....so the search is on.

I want a card that gives me

a. GREAT sound
b. Can be connected to my stereo (coaxial (prefered) or optical)
c. An acceptable price....if I can do this for under $100, great.

I do not need surround sound, nor am I looking to play the latest games on my PC.....I just want good sound...and this means music for all types, Classical and Rock.

I have sort of wired it down to SB Audigy....but in order to get the outputs I listed above I need to get the one with the thousands of outputs, surround sound etc.

Is there a good card out there that is made for the audiophile....the stereo audiophile....not the Home theater audiophile?  

and if so...is there one that will not break the bank?  

Thanks in advance
Pilzner

konicky

RE:Help me choose my next sound card for MJ !!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 11:26:55 am »

Hi Pilzner,
The basic Audigy Player (MP3|PLS|) has the connections you need. I use this hooked up to a £1800 stereo system, and it sounds good to me. I don't have experience of other soundcards apart from the basic Soundblaster 16PCI which came with the computer, but all the reviews I've seen reckon it's the best one for the money.

pilzner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2002, 12:39:11 pm »

Thanks Konicky

Does anyone know how good the m-audio delta dio 2496 is in comparison???

Galley

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2002, 06:49:53 pm »

The delta is a true 24-bit card, whereas the Audigy can only playback 24-bit audio, but cannot record it.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 11:05:07 pm »

The AP24/96 is a true studio level card... The SB does not even fullt resolve 24/96 and has much poorer THD and noise specs... For digiatl out the AP wins hans down... For analogue out look at the M-audio 410 both avaliable for digital connection at around 150 - 170...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up