INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't View AVI Files  (Read 3401 times)

rbentley

• Recent member
Can't View AVI Files
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:29:30 pm »

I just upgraded to version .179 from .159 and now I can't view .avi files.  I get the audio but no video.  The screen is all black.  I can view avi's in my other programs like VLC player.  The thumbnails for avi's also dont' show the actual video file but a drawing of a roll of film, which I assume is a default.  I can watch DVD's and .mpg files fine.

I have checked my settings and I don't know what is wrong or should be changed.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't View AVI Files
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:58:25 pm »

It may be DirectShow filters.  Try a search here for CCCP.

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:29:01 pm »

Jim and others,

A search for CCCP as you suggested only returns your post.  I can find the filters for DirectShow but dont know what changes, if any should be made.

Can you be a little more specific about what I might try changing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:23:20 pm »

Maybe try again.  Look for glynor's posts.

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:42:34 pm »

Jim,

We are making progress.  Using the CCCP program Glynor recomended I new get video on avi files.  However now I don't get audio.  Previously I got audio but not video.  MC continues to play DVD and other formats fine.

What can I do to get audio back and keep audio and video?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:53:52 pm »

I have the same problem.  I can't play regular video files.  I get only audio.  DVDs play fine.  I should have CCCP and DScaler installed.

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:02:42 pm »

Any suggestions on audio?  Originally I had audio but not video on avi files.  After installing CCCP I now have video but not audio........ugggggggggggg.

Thanks for any help anyone might have.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:01:40 pm »

Have you tried different decoder and renderer combinations?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:50:58 pm »

@Rbently

What type of audio is inside the AVI?  If you don't know, try this:

Get G-Spot 2.70a from here.  It's a simple program to install.  Just unzip the files to a folder somewhere, and then run the main EXE, and use it to open up one of the AVI files that is giving you trouble.

What does it say in the Audio frame, for both the Codec and Info (trying to be exact)?  Also, what does it say for Stat?

Then hit the "1" button under MS A/V and tell me what it says.  It's extremely odd that CCCP wouldn't be able to handle something in an AVI file out of the box.  I'm suspicious that you have a conflicting codec on the system, but I'd like to know what we're dealing with first.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:37:46 pm »

Glyn,

The Codex is 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3.
The Info is 48000 Hz 128 kbs tot Joint Stereo, Lame 3.9

Under the MS AV 1 button it shows:  Render ok.  The following combination of filters was used:
A:  ffdshow MPEG Video Decoder B: Video Render
A:  ffdshow Audio Decoder  B: Default Direct Sound Device

Does that help?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 08:16:45 am »

Does that help?

It does.... Sorta.  It's a bit confusing because that's just a MP3 audio stream, which (of course) should be handled out of the box.

I mainly want to think about it for a bit, however...

Grab CCCP Insurgent from here: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccpi

Run it (you just have to double click on it, there's no installer).  Then, in the far left hand side of the window that appears, you should see only Combined Community Codec Pack under the Codec/Filter Packs section (see my picture below).  Does anything else appear?

Also... This might be blatantly obvious, but can you get the Audio to work on the system at all (for example, regular music and whatnot)?  Are you using MC with it set to internal or system volume control?  If you happen to be using Internal, does switching it to System make any difference?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

Another thing to try is to disable the 32 bit FP output mode in FFDSHOW.  Some sound cards (especially low end or onboard ones) don't properly support 32 bit or floating point sound sample formats.  Usually this manifests in extremely quiet sound (particularly the center channel in a multi-channel setup), but sometimes it silences it altogether....

Go to Start --> Programs --> Combined Community Codec Pack --> FFDSHOW Audio Decoder Configuration

In the dialog that appears, choose Output from the list on the left.  You'll need to scroll down to find it, it's all the way at the bottom.  Then uncheck all of the boxes under "Supported output sample formats" except 16 bit integer.

Click OK to close the dialog and try to play back your video file.  If you get audio, then great, we figured it out.  If you want (and by no means do you have to if you don't) you could go back into that same dialog and start re-enabling those check boxes one at a time to figure out which one is causing the problems.  I'd guess if any of them, it'd be the 32 bit ones.  However, this is really unnecessary if you're just using cheapo onboard sound anyway, and for best performance you could just leave 16 bit only selected.  That's up to you.

If this doesn't work, we can try something else as well, but I suspect this might cover it...  Still check CCCP Insurgent for me (from above) though, because if there is a conflicting codec/filter pack on the system it could be causing lots of other problems...

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:39:18 am »

Glyn,

Only the Combined Community Codec Pack shows.

Under ffdshow only 16 bit was checked.

Yes I do get audio.  My audio mp3's play fine and I can play mpeg video files.  It is only my avi's that dont work.

Originally I got audio and no video.  After installing CCCP I get video but no audio.  Very strange.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:51:06 am »

Can you post some log info here?

Run MC and make sure logging is turned on:

Help -> Logging ..., check "Output to a log file" under "Logging Options", and make sure "Playback", "Import", and "Database" are checked under "Types of events to log".

Now try playing an avi file that you have problem with. Go back to logging and view current log.

Copy only the lines starting with the line containing the words  "DumpGraph: Start", ending with the line "DumpGraph: Finish".

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32:28 pm »

04422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph: Start
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph: DumpGraph [888040]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [889afc]  'Null Renderer'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [88d1ec]  'In' [Input]  Connected to pin [889bec]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [3f8cc]  'Video Renderer'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [88e19c]  'VMR Input0' [Input]  Connected to pin [1408a04]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [199a224]  'ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [140e3d4]  'In' [Input]  Connected to pin [889dfc]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [1408a04]  'Out' [Output]  Connected to pin [88e19c]

There wasn't a DumpGraph:  Finish

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:05:50 pm »

Very strange.

You aren't kidding.  I'm stumped completely.

One tiny thing to check.... Are you using Windows XP or something more esoteric?

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »

I am running XP, SP2 on a HP laptop.  Normal configuration.

I can play avi files in WMP or VLC with no problem.  It is only Media Center that I have problems with.

Just out of curiousity, I uninstalled CCCP and now I get a black screen with no video and no audio.

uggggggggggggg.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 03:49:45 pm »

04422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph: Start
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph: DumpGraph [888040]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [889afc]  'Null Renderer'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [88d1ec]  'In' [Input]  Connected to pin [889bec]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [3f8cc]  'Video Renderer'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [88e19c]  'VMR Input0' [Input]  Connected to pin [1408a04]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:     Filter [199a224]  'ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder'
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [140e3d4]  'In' [Input]  Connected to pin [889dfc]
0104422: 3556: Import: 0xde4 DumpGraph:           Pin [1408a04]  'Out' [Output]  Connected to pin [88e19c]

There wasn't a DumpGraph:  Finish

You should have DumpGraph: Finish, maybe you did not look far enough?

The first filter in your log is "Null Renderer", that is not right. I bet that is the one connected to the output of audio decoder. No audio renderer is added to the graph, no wonder you do not get sound.

Something has messed up your DirectShow system.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings ...

Under Audio Renderer selection, what do you see listed?

Did you select an audio renderer for the zone you are using to play your AVI files? Try selecting a different one to see if it makes any difference.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 03:59:15 pm »

Also, on the same dialog window (DirectShow Playback Settings), find "AVI" in the list on the right hand side. Select it and then click "Select Filters" button.

On the resulting dialog window, on lower-left, what video renderer is selected? Try selecting different ones and see if it makes any difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up