INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: unable to assign Cover Art for .ISO files  (Read 17494 times)

scottlindner

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: unable to assign Cover Art for .ISO files
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 07:18:24 am »

I don't disagree that MC can handle ISOs once we get some other software to automount the ISO file, but that hasn't been the issue here. The issue is attaching Cover Art in a simple non-kludgy, non-workaround way. If I just wanted to be able to click on an ISO file and have it automounted and then played like a DVD, I'd hardly need to use MC. It's the Cover Art that provides the experience. It's not the can that's important, it's the how.

There is another issue.  You have to do what I'd call a hack to even get MC12 to even acknowledge an ISO and it is an undocumented feature.  I've seen folks in MC11 threads asking how this is done.  Someone says they do it, but don't explain how.  Plus.  Then when I want to look for my movies I have to go to documents.  Huh?  Doesn't add up.  For music I go to Audio.  For videos I go to videos.  For movies I go to documents.  See the problem?  It's a hack that is unsupported.

Scott

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 07:31:20 am »

I must ask, why did you throw down the illegal flag on this topic?  Could it be because it is not important to you?

It would be wise to keep the legality discussion out of this.  I own all of my content.  I can prove it if the RIAA and Hollywood bastards bashed down my door with the FBI and US Marshalls in their back pockets.  Recently the RIAA has been trying to convince lawmakers that it is illegal to simply changing the format of what you already own.  The fair use laws create a very fuzzy situation on this topic and I believe we'll see new laws in the near future.  As far as I'm concerned, the legality of what I do is not your business.  What is your business is that you and where MC is going does not violate any laws.  However, since you picked this one law to bring up, I bet we could dig into MC and find numerous patent violations and other laws broken.  By accident and completely unknowingly of course.  So unless you want to create an all out "I'm breaking less laws than you are" war, I feel it would be best to couch the legal discussion for a specific topic that involves the developers and those so motivated only.

I wasn't speaking about the legality of using the disc contents on a PC.

I was speaking about the legality of obtaining/downloading/buying/modifying/using software (like filters and codecs) for playing the new HD and Hi res. formats with MC. This is a bit grey area. The legality may be depended on many factors, like software patents, licenses, user agreements, local jurisdiction etc.

AFAIK, open source (or at least freely available) filters for using all features of these formats are rare or non-existent.

(... and I said "perhaps")
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

scottlindner

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 07:40:14 am »

I wasn't speaking about the legality of using the disc contents on a PC.

I was speaking about the legality of obtaining/downloading/buying/modifying/using software (like filters and codecs) for playing the new HD and Hi res. formats with MC. This is a bit grey area. The legality may be depended on many factors, like software patents, licenses, user agreements, local jurisdiction etc.

Gotcha.  My bad.  I think your post could be read in two ways.

AFAIK, open source (or at least freely available) filters for using all features of these formats are rare or non-existent.

(... and I said "perhaps")

Is it possible for MC to use the CODEC from InterVideo and then leave it to the user to obtain their own license?  I also have no objection to this because the CODEC has to be obtained somewhere.  Although another approach could be to use the limited capability OSS CODECs to offer basic capabilities like play, pause, stop, next chap, previous chap, menu, fast forward, and reverse.  I would suspect that would be good enough for nearly anyway that wants to use MC in Theater View as an HTPC frontend.  As an alternative if there is a way for MC to use the commercially available CODECs embedded in one of the professional products to get the extra features, that would be the perfect solution for those looking for bargain and basic support and the power users willing to pay for more.  Maybe I'm over simplifying things.  I really don't understand how CODECs work in Windows.  To me it feels like Plug-N-Pray or DLL Hell all over again.

Scott

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 07:47:26 am »

There is another issue.  You have to do what I'd call a hack to even get MC12 to even acknowledge an ISO and it is an undocumented feature.  I've seen folks in MC11 threads asking how this is done.  Someone says they do it, but don't explain how.  Plus.  Then when I want to look for my movies I have to go to documents.  Huh?  Doesn't add up.  For music I go to Audio.  For videos I go to videos.  For movies I go to documents.  See the problem?  It's a hack that is unsupported.

Do you want to help MC12 development? If yes, then please answer my question about your specific problem.

Explain what you do now, what is not working as you would like it to work and if possible suggest how it should work.

Specific, well-grounded and detailed feature requests have usually been seriously considered by JRiver.

EDIT

Regarding the codec and filter issue,

I have not personally tried Blu-ray and HD DVD playback. Maybe jmone could tell you more about the current situation. It seems that for making these formats playable a lot more "hacking" is needed than e.g. for DVD video/ISO playback.

Playing the hi-res audio formats directly without extracting or recording the audio stream somehow and converting the format may be impossible.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

scottlindner

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2008, 07:58:16 am »

Do you want to help MC12 development?

I'll do that.  Is there a specific location for doing this or in this thread?  I'm using the Wiki someone wrote for how to configure MC to acknowledge an ISO.  So my first thing to do will be to submit that URL to the WIki.  That is the problem, and solution.

I will gladly support detailed design if JR wants it.

Scott

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2008, 08:48:14 am »

I'll do that.  Is there a specific location for doing this or in this thread?

Maybe a new thread would be better. It would be good to try to keep it strictly on-topic.

I'm using the Wiki someone wrote for how to configure MC to acknowledge an ISO.  So my first thing to do will be to submit that URL to the WIki.  That is the problem, and solution.

I will gladly support detailed design if JR wants it.

That would be a start. A detailed feature request that can be explained step by step is usually more effective than a cursory "Don't care how; I want it now!" type of request.

Also, please keep in mind that my opinions are my own and do not represent those of JRiver.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2008, 03:27:41 pm »

Regarding the codec and filter issue, I have not personally tried Blu-ray and HD DVD playback. Maybe jmone could tell you more about the current situation. It seems that for making these formats playable a lot more "hacking" is needed than e.g. for DVD video/ISO playback.

I know of no way currently to play back Blu-ray & HD-DVD disks with MC at present, but you can:
1) Launch PDVD (or other) from MC: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43879.0
2) Playback M2TS/EVO content from MC: see thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44314.0

As with other commercial DVD playback SW, depending on what software you choose to install for your Blu-ray / HD-DVD playback (eg PowerDVD / ARCSOFT / NERO HD Plug In) you then get a bunch of DirectShow filters installed on your system that is then available when filter graphs are built.  I'm with Scott on this, "...why did you throw down the illegal flag on this topic?" as this software is all available to buy, install, & use...

Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:57 pm »

lotusaurus

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2008, 06:12:09 am »

Er, the same link was posted on January 5 (in my timezone, at least). And the info is still the same, and it's still a horrible kludge for all the reasons given at length in this thread.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:02 am »

Er, the same link was posted on January 5 (in my timezone, at least). And the info is still the same, and it's still a horrible kludge for all the reasons given at length in this thread.

To make this simple for JRiver:

Please make possible to add cover art to document files. Just enable the option. You can use the same code that is used with video files.

It is already possible by temporally changing the media type to "video". This is an unnecessary step.

Personally, I would like to use the feature with many kinds of documents. For example, I have a lot of books and other publications in pdf format and cover art would be a nice addition.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »

I just managed to remove all my ISO Coverart  :'( .  I had set it up by the method outlined by
1) Import ISO
2) Change to "Video"
3) use "Paste From Clipboard" to add the desired Coverart
4) Change to "Data"

All was working well until I re-imported all my ISO files (I was missing one file and instead of working out which one, I'd slected the entire list in explorer and did a Right Click --> Media Center --> Import).  All of a sudden all my ISO coverart was replaced with the last one I had added (it was also saved in the folder.jpg file as per my MC12 option).

There has to be a better way!  At present we have the options for coverart to be:
1) Stored in the File - no go with many file types including ISO
2) In the Same Folder as File (either "as Folder.JPG" or "as [Artist] - [Album].JPG) - a good option if all files in the folder use the one coverart (but not so good if I have under a folder called "Movies" a bunch of different ISO's which I want to have individual coverart or even tracks of a CD where there is track specific album art.  So how about a 3rd option:
3) If "SAME NAME AS FILE.JPG" use that else use the default selected in option 2).

Other Idea?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up