INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the best sound?  (Read 931 times)

Platypus

Getting the best sound?
« on: August 31, 2002, 11:14:07 am »

What's the accepted way of getting the best sound out of MJ?

WaveOut
DirectSound
or SPDIF-Out to a dolby-digital amp? (does this work for music?)

Any fine tuning tips would be useful. I am looking at this from an audiophile perspective, and assumes ownership of a 24bit soundcard etc.

Cheers,

Martin Dunn
Platypus Solutions

sekim

RE:Getting the best sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 11:26:35 am »

Platypus

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 04:17:39 pm »

So, it's just down to WaveOut, DirectSound or ASIO (v9)
Answers on a postcard to...

I hooked up my pc to my hifi and played back some ape files. they sounded pretty poor, but I'm only using a £30 terratec gaming soundcard, which Im due to replace with a 24/96 card.

However, whats the best way to send the sound to it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 04:59:48 pm »

With a cheap soundcard, do this:

1) mute every line you're not using (MIC, CD, etc.) -- they're where most of the noise comes from

2) turn up the volumes for all of the lines to the max -- only adjust the "master" after that (the other lines are software volume lines, so it's a bad idea to turn them down)

Maybe that'll help a bit...

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2002, 09:30:39 pm »

With the AP24/96 I am guessing that the intention is to use SPDIF out to the DAC's in your reciever ?? If this is the case ASIO should give you bit perfect output so that the bits march off of the HD and out the SPDIF in the same way as any transport (no matter how high end) then the only sound question possible is are the DAC's in your reciver performing better than the DAC's in your soundcards ??

There is one other variable and that is the often discussed 'jitter'... When outputing via SPDIF then the signal gets clocked on the card sent through the SPDIC conection to be decoded at the amp and there is the possibility of jitter... With the route of sending the digital signal to the soundcard and decoding to analogue directly while there are still parts of the curcuit on the soundcard that are digital then there is the theoretical possibility that there may be jitter in these curcuits I would say it is safe to assume the chances and the amount are going to be infetesimal...

ASIO output and try both options to see if your ears detect a difference...

BTW if you have not already purchased.. The M-Audio 410 gives a better analogue setup for only an additional $20.. To me that was a worthwhile upgrade for future proofing against newer decode features my reciever des not have...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Platypus

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2002, 10:47:51 am »

Thanks Phreddy, All very useful info..

I will come clean at this point. I run a small business in the UK, selling bespoke PC's. We are currently working on a home cinema pc project and are considering using MJ as our media playback module. The ASIO driver support in v9 is very promising and should deliver the performance we are looking for. (We are getting advice from a top hifi store too!).
Phreddy, how have you got along with Talisman? We are programming our interface using this also!

Final question - wave out sounds very bloaty, whilst directsound puts in a respectable performance. I seen this complaint in the forums a lot, and maybe this is the answer? Looking forward to giving the ASIO a go on a decent setup.

Martin Dunn
Platypus Solutions

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2002, 11:06:14 pm »

Martin.

Drop me a private email... You want GUI's I can show you some tools that will rock your world..

PP
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up