INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Media disk crash ever and successful restore!  (Read 899 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
First Media disk crash ever and successful restore!
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:31:29 pm »

Yesterday when I started MC12 it was hanging all the time on selecting audio or video and I was wondering what the problem was. After closer examination I realized that my media disk with all audio and video files had completely crashed :o

So I bought a new disk (doubling the capacity from 160GB to 320GB at nearly the same price)) and restored from my external backup disks. The restore took quite a long time (about 3 hours), but at the end I got everything back with the exception of a single divx movie and 3 or 4 movie cover art files I have also stored elsewhere :D The crashed disk (a Samsung SP1614N) was introduced on Oct 2004 and crashed on January 2007, so its lifetime was 28 months :-\

So I was happy to start MC12 and see that everything worked again. So, for those with lacking backup discipline, my good advice, back up diligently and regularly to external drives, network drives or whatever suits you. I have been using for a long time now "Karen's replicator", which is freeware and quite a good program. It replicates only the changes and is quite fast ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up