INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 hours until VISTA  (Read 9397 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 7 hours until VISTA
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 03:56:43 pm »

If they allow an over charge to go through, I would be angry because then they could, like you said, potentially charge over limit fees.  I don't want over charges to go through!

Yeah.  I used to get calls from customers all the time angry over this exact thing.  Now, the timing had to be pretty bad for that to happen (because we only charged the fee if the account was over limit on the day the statement closed), but still...

If that happens, I'd just call Discover.  If it was me you called, when I worked at the bank, I would have been able to waive the fee (as long as it hadn't been waived for you a bunch of times in the past).

However, official policy was: It is the customer's responsibility to remain below their given credit limit, not the bank's to keep them on a leash.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 05:47:21 pm »

So you're talking about a bank...not a credit card company?  I did recently overdraft my bank account by $20 because a payment that I put through showed up as paid on Discover but not deducted from my bank account so I thought it had already gone through and been subtracted from my bank account...in the end, I was charged a $25 fee.  I'm not really that worried about bugging them to waive it but it's interesting to know that banks may sometimes or usually waive it if you complain.

I'm having a big issue with Vista.  File copying or moving to my NAS is VERY slow.  I get 2.6 MB/sec.  Finally they added a Speed (rate) item on the file operations dialogue but that's really slow!  I feel like the entire copy/move system is slow.  I have set a few small shortcuts to delete and it took 10-20 seconds!  It kept saying calculating time remaining!  lol.  How about 1/2 a second?!  This is very annoying because I can't live with these slow speeds.  Not that I usually do, but at the moment I'm ripping lots of content so I need a fast write speed.  In a few days when I'm done, then I wouldn't worry as much.  I've heard that firmware updates can really help with things like this.  Perhaps I should look for a network card firmware update?  Right now I'm moving a DVD I ripped and it's estimating over an hour.  It used to take 10 minutes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 06:14:01 pm »

So you're talking about a bank...not a credit card company?

With few exceptions, credit card companies are banks (and internally generally refer to themselves as such).  MBNA, until it was recently purchased by Bank of America, was the largest independent credit card issuer.  That was also it's primary business, though it did have some other smaller side businesses as well.

It was not a branch-bank style operation at all.  The office I worked in had over 1000 employees and it was only one of many across the world.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 06:37:03 pm »

Re: Bank charges, in the UK there has been some argument that they are illegal because they work on the premise that the charge is a "penalty" and banks aren't legally allowed to punish customers for paying late or breaching their overdraft limit. Don't know if this applies in the US however.

Here's a step-by-step reclaim guide on the BBC website;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6170209.stm

Interestingly, you can reclaim up to 6 years of charges.

benn600

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 09:15:47 pm »

What if a bank didn't have so many overhead costs?  What if they didn't need to charge so much?  Would their CD rates be sky high?  It seems like they make most of their money from loans, obviously, but they also have to pay their customers.  If they had everything automated and computer-based...they could eliminate a huge number of employees (not that that would be good) and they could theoretically pay a huge amount of interest, approaching what they charge for loans!

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 09:31:15 pm »

If they had everything automated and computer-based...

...then the IT department would rule the world!! :) they probably do already.

Banks make an absolute shedload on debit/credit card purchases ... you realise that when you buy something with your credit card, the bank receives something like 4% of the bottom-line? I live in SE Asia, so you notice that charge quite a bit - when I use a credit card I tend to get charged between 4% and 12% of the total by the merchant, depending how dense the surrounding jungle is.

On another note, I've just seen Vista for sale for $5 in the main IT complex here. Something smells fishy...  :-\

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 09:31:37 pm »

That's called a Credit Union.

Banks are plenty profitable.   ;D

benn600

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:41 pm »

Lol.  I am at a Credit Union.  What's the difference between the two?  They seem to pay very similar rates.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 03:24:13 am »

Theres much comment at the moment that in the UK
prices for Vista are the same in Pounds as what you guys
are paying in Dollars.
Currently there's around 1.95 Dollars to the Pound..
 ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 08:14:29 am »

Yeah.... You guys get screwed pretty regular-like on your side of the pond.  Of course, they only can charge what the market will bear.  If no one was willing to buy it, they'd bring the price down.

benn600

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 08:45:52 am »

I think we can all happily agree that Vista is over priced.  I don't understand how OSX releases for $100 or $130 for three computers!  That's the licensing plan I want!  They don't mess with all these versions...omg.  Why do they do all these versions?  I know it's to make more money but wow.  They charge so much...we're talking thousands of dollars!  If I wanted to upgrade all our computers that we use regularly, it would be hundreds and hundreds, approaching a thousand.

benn600

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 09:03:21 am »

For other people's benefit, I found this article on fixing the "white video" problem I was experiencing with VLC and I think MC, too...but that's unclear at this point.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/962?format=rss

It tells how to fix VLC and then MC just worked.

johnnyboy

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:19 pm »

Theres much comment at the moment that in the UK
prices for Vista are the same in Pounds as what you guys
are paying in Dollars.
Currently there's around 1.95 Dollars to the Pound..
 ?

Which is exactly why you buy it from the US and have it shipped over!
Works out an even better price of you that way as the exchange rate kicks in so makes it half what they pay so your getting it for half price!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up