INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for inexpensive LAN media player  (Read 4530 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Looking for inexpensive LAN media player
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:27:22 pm »

I use my Xbox with added Media Center all the time in our kitchen.  I used to have it in my room but decided I would rather have it in the kitchen.  Now what I would like to do is buy another device (or two) that provide similar functionality.  I could settle for another Xbox but I don't like being unable to turn the device ON from the remote.

I have seen a lot of devices but they all seem to have a lot of disadvantages and are usually pricey.  Here is what I'm looking for:

Wired 10/100 LAN only (Wireless would be okay but I wouldn't use it)
No hard drive (I don't want any media stored on the device)
Simple outputs (S-Video--I don't have any high quality HD TVs yet)
Very compatible (Absolutely must be able to play FLAC & DVD VIDEO_TS (MPG2) folders--good if it can play Divx, wmv, etc)
Remote (obviously)
Must play music and video but pictures would be nice, too.
I really want it to be able to go directly to my folder structure with username & password on the server.  I want to avoid requiring an UPnP server because my Xbox does not have one and it works great.
Also really want it to support thumbnails for music, video, etc., just like my Xbox and MC do.

I would love to find a device like this for $150 but that might be a challenge.  The 4 MP101's I have were only $40-$60 when I got them.  They only play audio and have some serious drawbacks, but generally they are pretty decent.

benn600

Re: Looking for inexpensive LAN media player
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 05:29:50 pm »

Was just looking:  WOW!
http://www.buy.com/prod/D_Link_Wireless_Media_Player_802_11G_Audio_Photo_Video/q/loc/111/90135293.html
That's only a little over $90.  Unfortunately, it might not play all my formats.  I'm going to investigate!  I would order one now!

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:02:47 pm »

benn--

Does this mean your homebrew blew up?

benn600

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:19:23 pm »

That's the media source!  That's why I don't want a built in hard drive cause it's all on my 2.5TB USB Raid (lol).

I already ordered it.  Interestingly enough, my credit card limit is only $500 and I have $430 on it...so I put it through but it won't process for a day until my full payment goes through.  That will give me a day or two to research but still guarantee the price I got--and if it goes down, I can cancel (lol).

So in the next day, tell me what you think of the D-Link DSM-320.

Here's a good question:  I read that it does support OGG but it doesn't say FLAC.  Isn't OGG at least similar to FLAC...isn't OGG just a container.  It might have specified Vorbis.  Wouldn't that destroy the chance that it supports FLAC?  I really don't care too much though because where I'll be putting this, I have a MP101.  So, I can use that for music and this for Video & Pictures.  Using a device like this for music is tough because you have to have the TV on to do much.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:30:36 pm »

#1.  Do a Forum search for the DSM-320.  There's been a few posts regarding it; I don't recall the details.

#2.  Where're you getting all this cash, chief?  Wait--don't tell me! 

FWIW, when I was a college freshman, I was eating lunch at Arby's and pocketing the single-serving ketchups so I would have something for dinner (that was my entree--relish was the salad course).

benn600

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:41:23 pm »

lol.  $90 isn't that much anyway.  I do work at college and my parents pay for college (I got quite a few scholarships) and food.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:59 am »

Benn, I hope you get the DSM-320 figured out because I need to find an inexpensive solution too. I have a cable that connects my laptop to my A/V system but there's an audio hum which really ruins everything. I'm getting another cable sent to me since it's still under warranty but I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem.

I saw your other post in which you said you can't get the video_ts files to work and that's what I want too. Please keep us informed since that rebate expires 1/31.

If the DSM-320 isn't the solution as it appears to have many problems from looking through the forums, what's the next best device to use that's wireless?
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 09:21:42 am »

Well, it's funny because I was playing an episode of inDigital and it was the HQ type video, probably around 480x320 or so, and it was basically unable to play it.  I also am using wired.  That was more of a test run in my kitchen.  As you may know, I'm trying to get all my drives into a home built NAS and that's taking a lot of my time.  Right now I'm trying to burn as much stuff I can to DVD and even then, I'll have to re-rip some DVDs since I don't have enough disk space to backup my data to until the new RAID5 device is functioning.  All my data is on those 500 GB drives and to switch to Linux, they have to be wiped, obviously.

I will definitely keep you posted and in worst case, I would have to return the thing because it really is worthless to me.  95% of my video is stored in VIDEO_TS folders and that's the whole point.  Playing podcasts is useful but I want everything.  My Xbox can play EVERYTHING I can throw at it (except 1080p) with no issue.  It plays FLAC, lol.  What doesn't it play.  I really thought about ordering another Xbox (pre-modded for me) but I don't like that you can't turn it on with the remote.

Also, the Xbox can use directly from the file server instead of requiring a UPnP server.  I prefer this because I have spent a lot of time making my folder structures rock-solid and as simple as possible.  This device doesn't even play FLAC so MC has to encode the audio.

That brings up a question.  With the UPnP server enabled, there is only one area to set audio encoding.  What about video encoding?  I will have lots more questions when I get time to get it setup and mess around with it more.  I plan to get this figured out in the next few days--I'm fast about this stuff if I can be.

Why doesn't D-Link go for those really interested in media like me and lots of you guys who 1) have lots of media in lots of formats (or just free formats) 2) are willing to spend lots.  The average household with a few hundred or thousand illegally download songs / movies is not going to spend lots on these.  Me, however, could recommend this device to my whole family and I could see buying at least 2 more!  We have 4 Netgear MP101's!  I don't even 100% like the devices but they are good enough.  They should support FLAC natively.

I really don't like how the DSM-320 says something like File Not Supported.  Try Nero Recode to make your files compatible.  lol.  They pawn you off to some dumb piece of software to solve all your issues!  How about the device just supports my file types so I don't have to deal with this.  I hope the DSM-320, along with asking for firmware, sends back data on what files couldn't be played.  I'm going to KEEP trying to play all these files so they get lots of data on FLAC.  I may email their support too.

**Move to dedicated DSM-320 thread**

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:51:32 pm »

dcwebman,
You mentioned in benn600's thread that you were getting an audible "hum" through your laptop's audio out.  By any chance do you have USB or similar devices connected on the same side of the board as your audio out?  If so, try moving/removing them and see if the hum doesn't go away.

dcwebman

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:23 am »

My audio out is actually a big expansion port which a special cable plugs into. But I do have a USB mouse plugged in. I'll try to remove that and see if that gets rid of it. Thanks for the tip!
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 07:34:21 am »

I'm looking for an inexpensive media device extender, preferably wireless. If it wasn't strictly for iTunes, I like the looks of the Apple TV. Granted, that one isn't inexpensive. People seem to have had problems with the DSM-320.

Trying to keep under $200, what's the best one out there that works without a lot of trouble?
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:20 am »

Under $200.  Exactly.  That's why I was so impressed with the DSM-320 at $92!  That's nothin'!  Remember I do have a request for those two additions in right now.  I must say if those two requests were met (DVD Menu support & FLAC) it would be great.  I really don't need FLAC because I don't plan on using this for music a whole lot.  I don't even see that it supports cover art.  That is why my Xbox w/ Media Center is so great.  It's open-source.  It just plays anything!  I haven't found anything it can't play!.

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:22:07 pm »

So right now you'd recommend the DSM-320 as the device to get? Yeah, you can't beat the price.
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 03:48:32 pm »

It's hard to say.  How does MC send the menu down the UPnP server..., I'll elaborate:

When I browse Images or Video, I often see Disk Location/... or something which I thought was the view schemes but it doesn't seem to be.  Also, I often see a menu section with only a question mark ?.

I need to investigate this further.  I know the rebate expires the 31st which is a little over a week.  Right now I'm spending all my free time on trying to get my NAS going--and I won't have the chance to give more info.  If I feel ambitious, I will try to post lots of screen shots of the interface and basically write a review.  Most other reviews don't pair the device with MC but everyone here probably will, so I can write it form that perspective.

johnnyboy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 05:27:34 pm »

XBMC on an X-Box is definitely the way to go if you have a TV nearby you can wire it into.

The interface is awesome and as benn said - it plays everything under the sun!

benn600

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 06:42:39 pm »

The only disadvantage of Xbox MC is that it can't be turned on from the remote, lol.  This is a big disadvantage for many people but can usually be dealt with.  I sent that email asking D-Link for more support and got back what appears to be an automated response.  Here's the info:

MY QUESTION------------------------------------------------------
For the DSM-320, can you please add the ability to play these files?  They are quite standard and if they were added, I would definitely consider purchasing 2-3 more and know some individuals who would also consider purchasing the device.  File support is key on these devices and I have a competitors product already that supports much more than I'm asking for here:
1) FLAC, lossless audio, free open-source, so I don't have to re-encode on-the-fly from J River Media Center to MP3.
2) DVD Menus, using a VIDEO_TS folder I am able to play VOB files but not the menus.  Please add the ability for menus to be displayed and usable.

Thanks!

RESPONSE-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your input, I have taken the information into consideration and passed it along to my colleagues and will be working on an possible fix.

Should you require further assistance with your D-Link products, please reply to this message, or call toll free at 877-453-5465. 

For D-Link's preferred Home Networking application please try http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/dlinksupport.php from Pure Networks. It simplifies Microsoft Networking and may allow you to trouble shoot your network on your own.

Thank you for networking with D-Link.

Sincerely,
David Desmond
D-Link Technical Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost wonder if other people submitting similar requests would help the situation.  It sounds surprisingly promising but the words are engineered to portray a promising feeling toward the consumers.  The FLAC thing isn't even that important to me looking back.  I should have just asked for DVD menu support.  I don't mind not having some of my random format videos...DVDs and "some" of my podcasts would be enough.  Plus, lots of my podcasts are available in multiple formats so I can choose the ones that play on this device.

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 09:00:55 am »

Thanks for the replies. An Xbox 360 unfortunately is a little out of my price range. And then I'd end up having to buy games for the kids too!  I'll probably just wait then and see what the response to the Apple TV from other vendors is as I'm sure somebody will have something that's not tied to iTunes.
Jeff

benn600

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 09:03:03 am »

No!  The original Xbox modded is what I'm talking about.  I also bet they could be had modded for a reasonable price on eBay.

dcwebman

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 06:57:49 pm »

You mentioned in benn600's thread that you were getting an audible "hum" through your laptop's audio out.  By any chance do you have USB or similar devices connected on the same side of the board as your audio out?  If so, try moving/removing them and see if the hum doesn't go away.

Sorry, I forgot to reply to you with my results. I unplugged my USB mouse so there was no USB plugged in. As soon as I plug in the media cable, the hum starts. Thanks for the tip though.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:34 pm »

Well I took the plunge today and ordered a DSM-320. I had received a 7% coupon from buy.com so that lowered the price even more. Hope I don't regret it!  ?
Jeff

jgreen

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 03:26:03 pm »

Congrats on your DSM-320, DC.  Now back to your hum, if I could.

If it's not board noise, maybe it's something naughty lurking in your AV system.  What is a "media cable" and where does it go from your laptop?  Other AV gear, right?  Electric things with plugs?  Everytime I hear a hum I #1 check my stent bag, and #2 check my AV sytem for a ground loop.  I turn off everything and unplug it, and if I had a blessed "media cable" I would unplug that from both ends, and then let it all sit there for a few minutes.  If the hum goes away then you've cured it, temporarily.  If not, then I've wasted your time by suggesting this.

dcwebman

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:48 pm »

What is a "media cable" and where does it go from your laptop?

This is what I have:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/notebook/notebook_hp/cables_connectors/1/accessories/PH675A

I contacted HP support and they are supposed to be mailing me a new cable. When I get that, I should be able to easily determine if it was a bad cable or something in my AV system. I'm praying it's the cable.  ;)
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up