INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry, but another talk about YADB  (Read 3278 times)

jolo

• World Citizen
Sorry, but another talk about YADB
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:32:30 am »

:o There have been many discussions about why MC using YADB, I personally don't understand why, to me it is like why "reinvent" the wheel.

Sometimes YADB's limited entries force me to go out of MC 12 to another app.
    I just went to check out Amazon's current number 12 rock CD in sales. For me, finding no entries is the most frustrating.

• I use a simple by very effective media Lable program called AudioLabel. It write directly to my media. It looks at Freedb, as well as CD-TEXT and CD Player-ini. But Freedb almost always finds ti CD   
    • CDEX looks at Freedb as well and is lightning fast at finding the entries.
    • Nero also will use the same Freedb (CCDB)
    • The Freeware LAME FE frotn end for LAME also will use the same Freedb (CCDB)

I am very aware of the strong negative feelings that the MC developers have in using Freedb. That's fine. BUT, I have never seen any other application use YADB, so the luxury of having all those users updating it, isn't there. So, if FREEDB (CCDD) is something that MC doesn't want to use for some reason, then could something other than YADB be used?
I personally don't care if FREEDB comes down with 2 or 3 entry's, it is so fast and it is very simple for me to choose the one I want
If there are other databases to use, fine. But it seems like MC is doing a heck of a lot of extra work by using YADB and not FREEDB. Especially, having to hear from whiners like me.

Thanks,

Jon Temple

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorry, but another talk about YADB
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:09 am »

I think you may have wasted 5-10 Min's of your life typing above.

It is not that they hate FreeDB, It is More Like They Wanted More Control Over The Application.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 06:56:10 am »

If you have a CD that wasn't found, please post the details including the exact time here.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:05:45 am »

I just came back from europe with a stack of CD's that were not identified by MC.  If you are talking about the typical new releases, they are always in there, but if you buy a lot of esoteric compilation CD's, you won't find them.

Mastercuts world beats
Bollywood beats

and plenty of others.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 07:29:57 pm »

Dear King,

You know, I was pretty much aware that I was wasting my time with the post, because their have been many similar and I said "hated" a emotional word, but it seems like the objection to Freedb is rather passionate. Sorry if I was a bit too strong.

My hope is that MC, which I love, could possibly be a little more flexible on this issue.

I do not understand the need for control of Freedb. Usually it is a matter of someones style of entering the songs might be different than another listing,. but I can't remember when I couldn't find an accurate listing. What is great about MC is that anything that comes down can be easily edited so that any  of the data can be easily edited.

So many applications use it and it seems to have about everything. That saves me a lot of time. Why would MC want "control" over Freedb, to be honest, I have found it to be more accurate than YADB. Then again for every CD that Freedb has and YADB doesn't, is the biggest type of inaccuracy, it is saying that it doesn't exist.

Would an option to be a choice, I have seen that on so many applications. I listed some applications that I have on my original post. It doesn't seem to be a problem for them. I could get a more complete list and I would bet that I would find that most highly distributed open source/freeware application (like Cdex) as well as popular applications like Nero all using it or giving the user a choice of CCDB or another method.

Even looking in the CD-Text itself and CDplayer.ini ?

I usually print my own labels either to print directly on my media (usually) or to some Neato Matte labels. I don't really want to type up a song list and times of songs.

Jon

I think you may have wasted 5-10 Min's of your life typing above.

It is not that they hate FreeDB, It is More Like They Wanted More Control Over The Application.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:17:52 pm »

I think that Jolo's request could be re-phrased as

1. YADB doesn't have info on enough of the CDs I rip. 

2. I think that FreeDB has better coverage.

3. Fix MC 12 so that its on-line lookup has a higher success rate. (As good as FreeDB's.)

Arguing for a specific remedy is unproductive.

(I didn't find that FreeDB did much better than YADB.  The FreeDB entries are less consistent than those for YADB.)

Bill

johnnyboy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:58:20 pm »

This arguement has been posted tons of times on here.
If you want to stick to Yadb how about as a possibility have it so that it tries to look it up on yadb, if it fails THEN it goes and checks freedb and if it finds it there it fills in the info and submits it to yadb?

Or just make yadb go do a lookup at freedb if it cant find the information it needs and then fill itself in from freedb and return the info to the user?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:11:45 pm »

I rarely get a CD not on YADB.  I like Media Center having it's own database--is YADB only used with Media Center?  I like that because people using MC are likely to really care about their collections.  Granted I do find mistakes--and I verify every track every time--it's still just a good thing.  I usually get the more popular stuff but even some of the older CDs usually seem to be in.  I have unknown CDs so rarely I couldn't even give a ratio.  Sometimes I forget to add the info to YADB and for a while, it seemed like it would auto add things and if you made changes to downloaded info, it would update the info (or perhaps add a new entry) but it doesn't seem to do that much anymore.  I like it auto adding.  I have a strict format I follow for everything and this can be checked by me and the strict character fixes can be done by MC's built in tag fixer.

At least sctom has provided the MC community with a FLAC plugin.  Would it be possible to make a plugin to support another database?

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 11:36:10 pm »

Isn't FreeDB offline now anyway.

Hey John Gately - how come I get refusals to add well tagged material when submitting? I just tried to up a New Orleans box set so my friend could re-tag all his files; it was denied. I have been getting quite a few refusals of well tagged material lately.

DC

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 01:03:06 am »

If freedb exists offline one possibility would be to include the data in Yadb.

The second possibility would be a menu which gives you the possibility to choose between yadb (secure) or freedb (where everyone has to choose the right entry for him) or Amazon.com (for covers).
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 05:25:36 am »

If freedb exists offline one possibility would be to include the data in Yadb.
not everyone wants to download a huge bunch of data-files.

I was thinking since there is no way to do this in a plug-in (Push Data To Fill A CD That Is Inserted In The Drive), what MC Does is Rips the files As Track 01, Track 02 etc...

first you can try MC's digital Fingerprinting

Then If That Fails

If all of the files were then put into a playlist (playing now), it would be easy for a user to type in the Artist Name, And Album and draw that information from a server.

And or another application At this point
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 06:56:15 am »

Granted I do find mistakes--and I verify every track every time--it's still just a good thing.

At least when I have found problems and tried correcting them, YADB will never accept them since it says they already exist.
Jeff

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:09:21 am »

No I mean Yadb could include the freedb entries.

So you have a closed system for your program under your control with the advantage of freedb

Can I submit tag and album datas to Yadb without ripping the cd.

I´ve thousands of files in my library which yadb doesn´t know (german music for instance for example cds called "Austro Music",etc.

I would submit the data, if it´s possible without cds.  I´ve them in flac format fully tagged.
-- Albert Einstein

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

Spitting into the wind is one of my favorite pastimes...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 07:20:09 am »

That about sums it up.

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 08:31:34 am »

I have you might be able to check.  Most of the ones I do for myself are 60s - mid 80s.  They seem to hit outstandly well on YADB.  My niece has a little zen but no computer.  So she comes over and I have a library of her stuff for syncing to the zen.  BTW that's another thing the competition sucks on.  She listens to that new teeny booper stuff.  She wanted load a Paris Hilton cd she just got. It did not find on YADB, so I entered the data and synced her zen.  I then tried to uplaod and YADB would not take it.

Artist - Paris Hilton (I know hehehehe)
CD - Paris

I'd be glad to try again if you want, or anything else I can do to help.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:09:16 am »

I found the option under libary tools , cool.... it worked not out sry.

Is it my fault?

It analyzes the tracks then it says submitting but at the and it submittes 0 files to Yadb..... why?

tn1
-- Albert Einstein

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 10:25:24 am »

I have to update the individual track submission so it works like CD submission, then improvements will be accepted.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 10:36:57 am »

Spitting into the wind is one of my favorite pastimes...

god, I hate that, Yuck

It analyzes the tracks then it says submitting but at the and it submittes 0 files to Yadb..... why?

it should mean that it has already been submitted

The way it orginaly worked, was it could only be submitted once, i don't think that has changed
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 11:05:12 am »

The way it orginaly worked, was it could only be submitted once, i don't think that has changed

Not yet... it's coming "Real Soon Now"(tm)

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up