INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new toy...  (Read 7219 times)

sekim

RE:A new toy...
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2002, 11:12:44 am »

BUG:

If you have the vis window open in Playing Now, and have None selected, if you click on the arrows to change to image, track info, etc. it will change tracks.

Listening to: 'Spooky' from 'Best Of The Atlanta Rhythm Section, The' by 'Atlanta Rhythm Section' on Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2002, 07:42:54 am »

I realize it's an early alpha and all, but I think there's something screwy with the BPM analysis. I just had it analyze a bunch of files.

Bryan Adams - Please Forgive Me : 132 BPM
Metallica - Disposable Heroes   : 89 BPM

Anybody who's listened to these two songs can tell you that something doesn't seem quite right here. :P

Of course, I'm under the understanding that BPM analysis isn't an exact science.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2002, 07:56:42 am »

BPM analysis is a toy.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Keep in mind that there are a lot of programmers that can't even tap their foot in time with music

And more often than not if it's wrong, it's because it took a wrong turn when thinking about halving / doubling.  For example, sometimes the high-hat goes on eigths and the bass drum on quarters -- other times, the high-hat is on the beat and the bass drum on halves.  In that case, it's tough to know if the song is 65 or 130...

In any event, BPM will be user-editable in the real release.

Later.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2002, 08:04:16 am »

Yeah, I can imagine it could be a real headache. Honestly, it's something I don't ever forsee myself using. I was just curious about how it worked.

But I do have a question that is near and dear to my heart... what happened to lyrics? It's displaying lyrics from songs I had previously added them to, but I can't figure out how I go about adding them to songs now. There are a lot of fields missing from File Properties. Is this an area in progress?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2002, 08:11:15 am »

Yes.  Everything is in motion.  Gaps will fill in with time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2002, 10:34:00 am »

Personally, I gotta say I like what I see. It's running very well and stable on my work PC, although something causes it to crash when I first install and run it. This happened on both my home and work PC. It's either related to converting my database, or the splashscreen. I haven't figured out what. It would just fire up, and even though I hadn't touched anything, it would just crash. Weird. But in both cases, the problem went away after a time and then it seems to be running ok. I'm just concerned about 2 things.

1. How will beta testing be handled? I'm not due for a free upgrade this time around, and I'm not ready to commit to a purchase until I see the near-finished product. So will it expire on me during the beta testing period? I forget how this was handled with 8.

2. Now that images are being supported like this, I'm now going to have to devote even MORE sleepless nights organizing my image library!! Damn you guys!!

One other question. When do I get to start suggesting features and changes? That's my favorite part.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up