INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M4A transcoding  (Read 1717 times)

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
M4A transcoding
« on: March 11, 2007, 05:14:07 am »

Having a bit bit of trouble with a new MP3 player which doesn't play back M4A's. I've set the handheld settings to transcode when necessary, but MC comes back with an error saying that it can't play back the file and that it needs a Directshow filter. I've installed both FFDshow and CoreAAC but it doesn't seem to do any good. Any idea how to get MC to transcode AAC files on the fly? Thanks.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: M4A transcoding
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:21:45 am »

I went through the same thing once.

I think after installing the filters I had an icon in the notification area. Clicking it (or right click) opened settings, somewhere I had to set the file type or extension to use the filter.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

I've installed both FFDshow and CoreAAC but it doesn't seem to do any good. Any idea how to get MC to transcode AAC files on the fly? Thanks.

An mp4/m4a media splitter is needed too. For example: Haali Media Splitter or MP4 Splitter.

You can test if the DirectShow playback works by trying to analyze your m4a files. If the analyzer works then playback is routed through DirectShow instead of QuickTime. Also conversion should work if playback really goes through DirectShow.

I can add m4a files to my a "virtual" handheld. MC converts them to mp3 without problems. (I use a HD folder as a virtual handheld.)

EDIT

Only unprotected AAC can be played through DirectShow and converted. Apple Lossless (ALAC in the mp4 container, .m4a extension) and protected iTunes AAC (.m4p extension) can be decoded only through the QuickTime engine.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 02:38:41 pm »

Ah... I removed the Haali Media Splitter as it was causing serious performance issues (hangs onto drives for some reason, really drags down transfer performance) when syncing one of my UMS portables (a Cowon D2). I'll try the other one, thanks. The other problem is that a fair amount of my stuff is still in Apple Lossless. I guess I'd better hit dbPoweramp and convert it to FLAC first then.

Thanks for the pointers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up