INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiki as feature requests gathering and voting portal?  (Read 1373 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
wiki as feature requests gathering and voting portal?
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:59:23 pm »

Hi,

We all post our feature requests in this and other forums and J River guys are usually very good at pointing out that it is already possible to do so and how (in many cases) or they address it in one of the recent builds very quickly. Some requests aren't immediately addressed however. Such requests get burried in the forum history. It is also difficult to judge how many users are interested in a particular request.

I was wondering if we could use wiki as a place where we can all organize the feature requests (under various categories and sub-categories) and comment on the specifics of the feature request. We could also discuss it in wiki and maybe even vote. This has an advantage that it serves as a collective memory of the users/developers as to how to improve MC.

I am not familiar with what wiki is capable of and how to do something like this in wiki. Can some wiki expert comment if it is possible to do this?

Will J River allow/encourage/participate in such organization/feature requests portal?

thanks,
Osho

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: wiki as feature requests gathering and voting portal?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:14:49 pm »

It's not a bad idea, but I think in asking for wiki experts to chime in, that tells me that not enough people would go there to post there ideas in the first place thus the poplularity of certain ideas likely won't emerge?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:20:27 am »

I may not be popular with this response, but I do not think wiki is the correct forum for this purpose.  I think these subjects are better handled in a forum such as INTERACT that can be managed, monitored, administered, and requires registration.  I think there may be a place for wiki and MC, such as a place to store documentation and a way for the community to collaborate on content such as tips and techniques.  The nature of wiki, however, means that it can be abused which can cause damage to the company (JRiver) and the community (us) that uses the products or services.

As an example.  This is from the JRiverWiki area.

Please note that all contributions to JRiverWiki may be edited, altered, or removed by other contributors. If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly, then don't submit it here.

The contributers referenced could be competitors, people with a chip on their shoulders, or people who really want to positively contribute.  There is no way to know.  So I would leave subjects such as these to a more controlled forum.

A wiki (IPA: [ˈwɪ.kiː] <WICK-ee> or [ˈwiː.kiː] <WEE-kee>[1]) is a website that allows the visitors themselves to easily add, remove, and otherwise edit and change available content, typically without the need for registration. This ease of interaction and operation makes a wiki an effective tool for mass collaborative authoring. The term wiki also can refer to the collaborative software itself (wiki engine) that facilitates the operation of such a Web site, or to certain specific wiki sites, including the computer science site (the original wiki) WikiWikiWeb and on-line encyclopedias such as Wikipedia.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:50:26 am »

I was wondering if we could use wiki as a place where we can all organize the feature requests

No, but thanks for suggesting it.  The forum works fine for that.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:32:16 am »

I may not be popular with this response, but I do not think wiki is the correct forum for this purpose.

I definitely agree with you and Jim - the Wiki is a documentation tool, not an interaction tool.

The nature of wiki, however, means that it can be abused which can cause damage to the company (JRiver) and the community (us) that uses the products or services.

I monitor the wiki closely to ensure that when this happens I can clean it up quickly. One of the strengths of wikis is that they allow this cleanup to be done easily.

j

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:49:35 am »

I definitely agree with you and Jim - the Wiki is a documentation tool, not an interaction tool.

I just figured I'd throw in that I too agree with John and Jim (and the OP apparently).  Wiki's have strengths, but the forum is probably better for this task...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up