INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtotals in View Schemes  (Read 1844 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Subtotals in View Schemes
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:58:11 pm »

Consider a simple view scheme Genre / Album

How to get a summary of album subtotals per genre ?

So you can see those subtotals along side the genres, maybe even sort them in ascending/descending order.

While playing around with column groupings in the viewscheme and Details, it appears that [Track #] is the only field that is totalled whilst other numeric fields are averaged. So if the viewscheme is set to display only 1 track/Album then the [Track #] in the groupings will display the number of items that correspond to the grouping selected :D

Set a limit in the viewscheme to display only 1 track /album using
~limit=-1,1,[Album]

Now pick Genre instead of Pane and MC will display groupings, if you remove the other columns leaving just Genre & Track #, you have the subtotals. Sort as desired.

To make it neater, replace Track # column in the viewscheme by a Custom field, called Subtotals, and enter [Track #] in the section that says Calculated Data, to be able to sort with it.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Subtotals in View Schemes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:40 am »

Very cool :D

Mark

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:55:34 pm »

tracks per artist too...

If you look at a view scheme that has an [artist] pane. Hover over the scheme label in the header and choose 'Artist' from the popout menu. Once there, hover again and change the view to details. Now set the track # column next to the artist column and click on the track # column header to sort by it. When used in this scenario, "Track #" actually represents the file count, and there you have the info you're looking for:

-marko.

:)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 03:18:42 pm »

hehe, i must have missed that, see, i tried searching for subtotals and nothing came up, so after a few moments thought, i gave up on it and then had a eureka moment much later.

I'm waiting for a way to do percentages now.

This area needs working on, still not as obvious as it could be, more user configurable statistics desired.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:22 pm »

I really miss this in the panes themselves. I know for a brief time MC displayed the totals in parenthesises, but if you could sort each pane on the fly by total number and then maybe some sort of tool-tip that showed the current total for each item in the pane, that would be really nice.

You could have a default 'sort by total' option just like it currently is for (ascending/descending) but also have it in the menu that pops down for each pane header and when the "Reset Selection" link is hit, the sorting is set back to default. That would be pretty sweet.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:25 am »

From what i can tell, [track #] is the only field where an addition is performed.

If any other numeric field is used, then the default behaviour is to calculate an average. I tried creating a user field with the same data type of integer as [track #] but it made no difference.

Is it possible to make user fields, other than just [track #] do totals ??

Can then include more columns where the field has only '1's filled, based on various criteria and these fields can *also* be added to the same viewscheme to give other totals.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:58:58 am »

interesting hit_ny, i was looking into this yesterday  :D

i did a serach and found a comment from Matt "Grouped" items try to map their fields as logically as possible"
...but logic for numbers are summary for me... :)

so please Matt can you make this an option or change...detailed view is so powerful and will be even more with a total instead of average

regards  :)   
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up