INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flac Encoder Install problem  (Read 2751 times)

Kevinkr

• Recent member
Flac Encoder Install problem
« on: August 10, 2007, 06:06:03 pm »

I've tried repeatedly to install the encoder for FLAC (latest and previous version for MC12) and get an object not registered error every time I attempt it. Have tried both versions of install - both return the same error. Was able to install the FLAC decoder without a problem. As FLAC is the only file format I use this is a BIG problem for me.

I will install 301 version of MC12 and see if that helps at all.

Previously used MC11.1 which did not have this particular problem (plenty of others hence the upgrade)

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Object Not Registered Error Flac Encoder Installation in MC12 >:(
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »

Are you using the MC 12 version of the plugin?

Kevinkr

• Recent member
Re: Object Not Registered Error Flac Encoder Installation in MC12 >:(
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 06:16:01 pm »

Yes, there are several revisions available for MC12, I've tried them all. No success so far.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Flac Encoder Install problem
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 06:18:58 pm »

Vista?

Kevinkr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 06:29:43 pm »

No, I am running Windows XP Pro on an Athlon XP (32 bit) based media server I built two years ago. Just upgraded to MC12.301 - predictably no difference.
Other plug ins have installed without problems.

The required dll is installed in the plug in directory but will not register no matter what I do. I have tried v2.2.2, 2.2.1, and 2.2.0   

Kevinkr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:16:50 pm »

Installed both the wavpak encoder and playback decoder without problems so this problem just relate to the current versions of the flac encoder and not mc12.

Kevinkr

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 07:20:42 pm »

Gets odder now, just successfully installed the oldest version of the flac encoder for mc12 - 2.0.0

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 10:43:48 pm »

Backup, & reformat your computer.  Everything will probably work great then.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 04:43:08 am »

Backup, & reformat your computer.  Everything will probably work great then.
Ben600, That's the second time this week you've offered that advice.
This is just my opinion, and I mean no offence to you, but I really don't think it's sound advice to be offering. Formatting your C: drive is not a task to be taken lightly. It's fine if it's something you're used to doing and have a sound backup regime in place, but otherwise, something will invariably get lost forever.

Next, there's all the time and hassle involved with getting windows setup correctly again, drivers etc. installed, software installed, then configured, all of which takes time even if you know where to find every setting and option you need.

Finally, having not understood the cause of the problem, it's all too likely to re-occur in the future making the whole process pretty null and void anyway.

I feel it's a far more prudent approach to seek help with a problem from people who may understand what's going on and be able to offer both steps to fix things and steps to prevent re-occurrance in the future.

For sure, sometimes systems can get so messed up by virii or other such nastiness, or by incorrectly trying to repair the mess made by such that realistically, format C: /u and reinstall windows is the best option, but all other avenues should be explored first.

kevinkr, I had exactly the same problem a few plugin builds ago that went away with a later plugin release. I've no idea if it was a change in the plugin or a change to my system that fixed things, and similarly, at the time I tried every which-way I knew of to get a .dll registered on my computer and none of them worked. It was a very frustrating time which was (thankfully) short lived for me.
I don't have a whole heap of technical advice to offer I'm afraid. I was wondering though, if perhaps you have a real-time virus scanner running? Is it possible that its scanning of the newly copied .dll file is preventing the file from being registered?

-marko.

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 12:36:50 pm »

kevin--

I had an issue similar to marko's around the same time frame.  If I recall I was not able to install through MC, but it worked when I double-clicked the FLAC .mjp file, but only after shutting down MC and letting it sit for a bit.  It was as if MC was hanging on to the dll.

EDIT--Note that this was some months ago, I think, and many MC versions and a few FLAC versions ago.  It all works great now.

benn--

I'm not sure why marko's so grouchy this morning--perhaps he's just jealous that he doesn't have a 7TB RAID array, like you do.  All the same, reformatting at the drop of a hat is a substantially more difficult and riskier task when you don't have an extra 7TB handy, so i have to agree with marko.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »

I too have had this problem in the past, but not recently.

If I recall, I needed to download the package and unzip it into a folder.
With all the files in that one folder, clicking the mjp did work as stated by others, attempting to do so from within winrar it would not install.
Also, try first thing after a restart so that none of the existing MC files are in use.
. . . the game is rigged

scthom

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:59:11 pm »

Yeah, I have no additional advice.  Something is keeping it from being registered and the best bet is to reboot, install from an extracted version, and if it still doesn't work, try DependencyWalker and see if something is missing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up