INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lame isn't installed  (Read 1813 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Lame isn't installed
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:42:30 pm »

SORRY:
LAME AIN'T AN enSTALLED.

When I try to use any MP3 encoding I get the error:

The MP3 encoder is not installed on the system.  Do you want to download and install it now?  YES NO

Before, it automatically downloaded without asking (GOOD).  Now, clicking yes just brings the box up again.  No action.  I want to sync my Sansa!

benn600

Re: Lame isn't installed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:56 pm »

I think this may be a big problem because even the UPnP server doesn't work.  It used to just download LAME (I saw it).  Now, it asks the user (which is OK), but even saying yes to download it doesn't help.  I like it just downloading it.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:42 pm »

I even got the lame.exe file from another computer (XP) and copied it to my plugins folder.  I still have the same issues.  Even with the lame.exe plugin, it doesn't work and still presents the same error message with the same results.  Clicking yes or no changes the 1st song to Error (when syncing)...then the message appears again and repeat.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08:24 pm »

If you're on Vista, right-click the shortcut and pick "Run as Administrator".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:14:14 pm »

That fixed it!  Is there a way to make the shortcut default to run as administrator so I don't have to do that each time?  Or a command line option to do that?  I use my Logitech quick button to open MC a lot and it just points to the exe.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21:23 pm »

I think it's pathetic there's no way to say "I trust this program, stop asking me" with UAC.  Endless popup dialogs are not security.

In this case, we want to install the MP3 encoder to the Media Center directory in program files.  UAC won't let us do this.

There's no way to request elevated privileges once we're running.  But we don't want to request elevated privileges every run either.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »

I'm really getting sick of Vista.  There are lots of issues I am running into.  I'm lucky enough to have just built an inexpensive yet high-performance machine (generally speaking)--much faster than my previous Prescott 2.4.

But, here are my current issues:
1) File transfers take forever.  That stupid dialog box says calculating time remaining for 3-5 seconds when I delete a 2 KB file.
2) Network transfers are terrible when initated by Vista.  I can pull files from Vista and get normal speed, however.
3) None of my 3 different model Minolta printers work (5 total all on print servers).  When I try to install the driver, it asks for a file that doesn't exist in the directory but XP doesn't ask for it.
4) All these annoying warning messages.  Can I disable them completely?  I don't want the security!  I don't have security issues and don't like wasting my time.
5) I want Alt ctrl delete to bring up the process list...not that annoying full screen message that can take a few seconds to load!
6) Boot up seems slower.
7) Sounds aren't even impressive...just little dings, lol.
8) I liked the old start menu better just because I categorize all my start menu's so I don't need help w/ search...although it does let me open with keyboard only.
9) Various online apps don't work like Logmein and I am forced to use IE until they fix those.
10) Sidebar is a joke!  I can't even configure lots of things!  The weather app only shows the current temp...I want the sidebar to be on top of other apps (great), but it can't be on top of other apps & transparent!  It's opaque then.  If it's not set to be on top of apps, it is transparent but a click puts it in the background!  I want everything overlaid but if I click, the click should go to the underneath app if one exists below the sidebar.
11) VLC gave me a video problem with white video until I read that I need to switch the video output mode to OpenGL...which did fix it but that's another step!
12) ...more to follow.

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 09:06:09 am »

I'm not really familiar with Vista, but if you aren't interested in the security, can't you just make your account an administrator? Seems like that would eliminate most of the issues with dialogs asking for permission. You'd give up security, but you already said you didn't want it. :)

benn600

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:17:24 am »

I don't remember an option to do so.  I'll look again, though.  That's what I want.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 05:46:58 pm »

In control panel, under User Accounts Control, there is an option to disable all the pop-up stuff.

I dont have a copy of vista handy so cant tell you exactly what the appropriate option is, or precisely where to find it, but it is there.

Cheers,
C.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 08:31:46 pm »

Just a heads up that build 169 and later will nicely install the MP3 encoder with UAC enabled. (of course, an elevation prompt will be shown)
Pages: [1]   Go Up