INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is There Any Concensus on The Best Global REPLAY GAIN Setting?  (Read 677 times)

Rusty

Greetings all -

a) - Is there any concensus on the best setting for the global Replay Gain setting? One big thing I noticed while doing the analyze Replay Gain figures exercise for each music file was that the analysis indicated a negative figure for all of the song files that were analysed e.g. -8.034 etc. Once analyzed it was suggested that for Volume Levelling etc, I should use a global positive setting of 6db ... is this correct? Is it |PLS|6db or is it perhaps -6db that I should set it globally for or is some other figure the best setting to go for?

b) - I thought I'd read somewhere that the Replay Gain only worked on the MP3 files? Is this correct or does it work on any audio file e.g. OGG, WMA, WAV, APE etc?

c) - So now am I assuming correctly that after doing the Analyze Replay Gain exercise & setting a global Replay Gain figure on say a Playlist that I'm about to burn, that when I do burn that Playlist, that there will be no need to have to keep jumping up & adjusting the volume level on the playback device.

Thanks very, very much for any & all advice on this one,

Kindest regards - Rusty in OZ.

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Is There Any Concensus on The Best Global REPLAY GAIN Setting?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 04:19:20 pm »

That's like asking a car or motorcycle enthusiast if there's a consensus on which oil is best.  

I set mine to |PLS|7.0 because most of my files analyzed in the -8.0 to -13.0 range.  My rule of thumb is to not have any file result in a positive adjustment.

b) Don't know about the other formats.

c) You'll have to use the diskwriter "feature" as I think you've already tried.  Did you get it to work?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 08:01:29 pm »

An "auto preamp" mode that used the highest possible value allowable by Playing Now would be cool, wouldn't it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 08:19:26 pm »

Why yes it would!  Is that a hint?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up