INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod, MC12 and Vista  (Read 1589 times)

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
iPod, MC12 and Vista
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:38:46 am »

I see Apple warning people not upgrade to Vista because of iTunes.  Is anyone using MC on Vista and syncing with 80 gb 5.5 iPod? 

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: iPod, MC12 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:02:57 pm »

LOL.  This is a Media Center forum.  We despise iTunes!

In any event, MC works fine for me on Vista but I don't like the slowdowns that seem to occur.  My hard drive is always running fast when I'm doing anything intensive (video editing).  I may need to add another GB of ram.  Other than that, we here sync two Nano's and it seems to work perfectly--just as on XP.  iTunes just doesn't want to support Vista--they want to put Microsoft out of business so everyone buys Apple computers.

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:49:15 pm »

A wonderful thing that isn't widely known is that an iPod can be plugged into a WinXP or Vista PC and be recognized immediately, with no software required. Fire up Media Center and it will adopt the iPod right away. There's no need to install iTunes, and a lot of reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Apple has changed the mechanism for delivering firmware updates - now it's only possible to get those updates thru an installed copy of iTunes. So far that's not an issue - I'm not aware of any update that matters yet for a 5.5 iPod. My 80Gb 5.5 iPod works like a charm and my Vista computer is blessedly iTunes free.

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:36:04 pm »

The warning has to do with possible iPod corruption if users eject them from their PCs using Windows instead of the iTunes interface.   Apple has promised a patch in the next few weeks to fix this. 

I just bought my first ipod to replace my Nomad Jukebox 3 that died last week.  I have no intention of installing iTunes unless I find something that I can't do with MC.  I'm using MC in Vista to eject the iPod and it works great.

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:56 am »

Thank you, that was what I was looking for not some ribbing by Itunes haters.  I have itunes installed on the old pc.  I will use it to update firmware and happily use MC for everything else.

I had a zen for 2 years and MC always worked perfectly with it.  It has done the same since I got 80gb and gave my son the zen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up