INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Official Feature Request  (Read 1442 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Official Feature Request
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:55:36 am »

I would like to officially request on-the-fly cover art resizing for cover art.  I have been casually requesting it earlier but now I would like to put it in as an official request.  I just spent the last hour rating songs and, somewhat unfortunately, came up with another 150 songs that will be synced.  It's amazing how I buy CDs, rip them, and forget to rate the songs I bought them for.  Anyway, I'm down to 300 MB free now and the songs average over 6 MB with the huge cover art embeded.  If the cover art could be resized before copied, then I would have plenty of space.

The good news is that I was essentially scrolling through looking for a lot of songs I knew I already liked...so this 70% good rate session (70% are 3 or more stars...from what I rated in the past hour) is uncommon.  My next rate sessions will most likely consist of much lower percentages and thus, I will have fewer songs to add in the future since I got a lot of good ones in this session.

I have around 1,200 songs on my iPod now and at around 1-2 MB each for cover art, I will save AT LEAST 1 GB but probably more like 2 GB.  That's enough for everything I rated plus another 2-4 hundred or so.  I'm using a reasonably low VBR quality.  Lowering the quality would hardly allow me to fit many more songs on at this point...it's the cover art that eats up the space.

Perhaps I could get a response on perhaps at least considering it, looking into it, or best yet would be putting it on the todo list.  I appreciate it!

rjm

Re: Official Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:52:01 am »

I am almost certain that you are mistaken on the size of your imbedded cover art.

Unless you are doing something very unusual, your cover art will range in size from 10kb to 40kb, and not the 1-2mb you claim.

Suggest you record the size of one of your files, then delete the artwork and re-record the size to validate my assertion.

There is a very obscure method of directly determining cover art size in MC, but I figured it out several years ago and now forget.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:41 am »

Well, I know one thing.  I store cover art as folder.jpg files and those files were scanned in by me.  I purposely stored them at 100% JPGs and 1200x1200 resolution.  They really are huge files.  But, this works great when I use full screen cover art.  It covers the screen with incredible detail.  My mp3 files average much larger than they should be.  I mean first, I'm supposed to get 2K songs on my Nano (at 128 Kb) but I'm at around 1200 and it's about full.  I want a little higher quality than 128, but perhaps 1500-1700 songs...and I may have to lower the quality as I get more songs rated.

I sync 3-5 star songs and 5 star Christmas songs.  I have rated just under 3,000 of my 11,000 songs.  It is great that I keep pressing forward and finding more songs.  Just yesterday, I found a few songs I completely forgot about but absolutely LOVE.  I wish we could investigate this issue and get it taken care of.  Again, I have small cover art (400x400).  I setup a batch and resized it all.  But, then full screen cover art looks terrible!  I scanned by hand because I want the incredible detail.  My 1600x1200 monitor has the resolution to show most of the detail (the cover art is slightly downsized for a border).

benn600

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:41:25 am »

My Nano is holding 1444 songs currently with 280 MB free (at V 5 LAME).  That is around 128 Kb, so it should be one MB per minute.  Unfortunately, this calculates to around 5 MB per song and most songs average 4 minutes, so this shows that about 1 MB is being added to each and every song, therefore wasting 1.44 GB of space.

*** Idea ***
What about a workaround?  Would there be a way for me to store a HIGH resolution image as cover.jpg and then a low resolution folder.jpg?  The folder.jpg (low res) would sync as standard cover art...but then I would want the larger cover.jpg to show when using cover art in full screen in MC.

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:32:28 pm »

Users of OGG especially get shafted here I guess since we have to copy a file to the folder since we can't embed the art. This would be a nice feature. Could you use the Spartasoft plugin to rite cover art to file and just have it run on the portable drive? Maybe he has a resize option? I think it only works on MC11 though.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up