INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real-Player-Only Streaming Site  (Read 1731 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Real-Player-Only Streaming Site
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:33 am »

I think I already know the answer but...

One of my favorite local stations has just switched to a Real Player only format for streaming their content.  Don't ask me why, it worked great before.  Anyway, is there any way to make this work in MC12?

Very frustrating when they tell you to "just download the free player"...

Thanks.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: Real-Player-Only Streaming Site
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »

Yes but you need the K lite codec mega pack. There you find the Realalternative player which can handle this. But be carefull:
during the installation k lite selects the windows mpalternative as default..... deselect it and Mc12 will handle it.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 07:07:22 pm »

If you don't fancy Klite, go here and find standalone installers for alternatives for realplayer and quicktime
Final Builds Site --> http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm  (scroll down)

:)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 12:48:38 am »

Thanks... but, wow, this stuff is kinda over my head.

It seems that "Real Alternative 1.51 Lite" is what I want since the stream is a .ra file.  But, what, exactly am I installing?  A driver/interpreter?  And do I need to somehow tell MC where it is and when to use it?

If there's a simple "how-to" somewhere you could point me to, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks... and sorry for being a noob at this.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:57 am »

real alternative installs the real codecs needed to decode the stream plus the registry entries needed so that other programs, such as MC, can find and use them.

In laymans terms, you're installing realplayer without all the garbage that traditionally comes with full installer. All you need to do is install it, make sure MC is associated with the real file formats (tools > options > file associations) and then get MC to load the url that points to the stream and off you go.

That's the simple theory.
Sadly, it's often not as simple as all that.
Take the BBC website for example. They state that the only way to listen to their streams is by using their web-based stream player, but with a little detective work scanning the source code of the webpage it's possible to find the direct address for the stream and then enter that directly into MC (File > Open URL) and then you have BBC Radio 2 playing through MC :)

The best you can hope for is that you install the codecs, click the link, and MC opens and plays the thing. In my experience that's rarely the case though, and a little detective work is required more often than not.

happy hunting :)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 12:34:19 am »

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Marko.  Will give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up