INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: prevent smartlist from refreshing  (Read 1001 times)

trott

• World Citizen
prevent smartlist from refreshing
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:13:08 am »

Hi all,

I brought up this subject before, but have still not found a good solution, so here goes...Is there any way to prevent a smartlist from updating?
Ideally I would like to only have a smartlist updating when either of the following happens:
  • I manually refresh it
  • the 'number of plays' field changes
  • the 'last played' field changes
  • I delete certain songs from a smartlist, MC should then add new songs to replace them according to smartlist rules but not refresh the entire list.
Well you get the general idea. What I'm trying to accomplish is syncing to my ipod (I imagine you will have the same problem with any portable device) to only take into account songs I actually listened to to on the ipod (or in MC). Or songs I deliberately choose not to have on the ipod.

This is actually (imo) one of the things which are better implemented in itunes: it more or less does what I'm asking here. Right now I often get into the situation where I just filled the ipod and then say: hang on, I still want to add these 5 songs. I mostly don't even do it because syncing the thing will take half an hour. (I currently have a 4 GB nano, I did not use to have this problem on my 3G ipod because it held most of my music collection and as such most of the songs were already on the device)

Actually even a smartlist option 'do not update smartlist unless songs are removed from it' would already be a step in the right direction...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: prevent smartlist from refreshing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:31 am »

Is the only issue with random style smartlists that change a lot each refresh?

Could you use a playlist instead for these cases?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

trott

• World Citizen
Re: prevent smartlist from refreshing
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:05:25 am »

Is the only issue with random style smartlists that change a lot each refresh?

Yes...

Could you use a playlist instead for these cases?

I have about 20 of these playlists on my ipod...doing it manually is just too much work.

I have tried once to generate 4 GB of music, put it in a playlist and then use that playlist as source for my smartlists (you know, fill the ipod with 4 GB of music and then just have the smartlists categorize that 4 GB of music. the idea was to manually remove songs I listened to from that playlist, put new ones in and the smartlists would do the rest). This did not work too well as I would have certain smartlists with only 2 or 3 songs.

Maybe you can put in a checkbox: 'only update songs which: ' and then one or more rules as criteria?
Pages: [1]   Go Up