INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Down encode to CD  (Read 986 times)

marrahm

• Recent member
Down encode to CD
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:00:14 pm »

I searched for fitting to a burned CD and wasn't able to find anything on this.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Is there a way of specifying what type encoding you want to use to burn a CD or otherwise to have MC automaticaly fit a playlist to a CD? 

I have all my music in lossless ape format, which is nice for archiving, but doesn't let me save any space when I want to make a less than lossless CD. 
When I put more music into the burn list than the CD will hold, I get the three choice dialog screen, but there is not a choice or option that I can find that would allow a recode at a lower bit rate to allow more than one CD worth of lossless music to fit on a CD.

Thanks for any help.

mike

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: Down encode to CD
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:44:50 am »

No.

The files are encoded in .wav. and wave has always the same bitrate 1411kb. So even if you encode a 8bit mp3 to wav it has the same size than a 320kbit.

tn1
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:14 am »

What sort of CD are you trying to burn? If it's an ordinary audio CD then thenoob1 is right. For audio CDs I don't even really think of file size at all; I just figure out if the total time of the files is under 80 minutes or not. Original file size matters not, be it mp3, ape or otherwise.

Now if you're burning an mp3/wma data disc to be played on a player capable of playing those sorts of files the answer is different. If you open up the disc burning dialogue and select "Data CD or DVD" you'll see a drop down menu open giving you options to convert to mp3, wma etc. Below that there's a link giving you conversion options which will allow you to set bit rates, etc. You can, for example, have MC down convert mp3 files with 320k bitrates to 192k. This will allow you fit more music on a disc.

But there really is no way to force MC to figure out an mp3 bitrate that will allow all the files you choose to fit on a single disc. MC will roughly figure out how many of the files you choose will fit on the disc, given the bit rate you specified under "Convert Options". It will allow you to burn your selected files across multiple CDs if necessary. But be forewarned; I do see posts here saying that MC has some issues figuring out how many files will fit a disc.

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:41:14 am »

Why can't MC give more info and let users put more than will fit and then MC can keep encoding and adding to the ISO until it runs out of space (700 MB) and at that point, the remaining files in the burn list would be dropped and the CD could be burnt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up