More > Media Center 12 (Development Ended)

MC For Laptop DJing

<< < (3/3)

djstarr:

--- Quote from: Doctor Cilantro on March 15, 2007, 11:11:28 pm ---I imagine using Playlists for DJing would be ideal, unfortunately sequence changes during playback are not recognized by MC. You have to stop playback. When a DJ decides to change the order on the fly that's great but it would be great if you could shift around the playlist; this would be akin to cueing up a few records and CDs and digging into your collection for more stuff. Currently we're stuck with the sequence in the playlist, and we know that the last crime a DJ can commit is stopping the music.

EDIT - okay i can 't hit the sack yet...I see your solution is to use Zones to work with playlists...nice.

EDIT 2 - And I forgot about Play Next. It works well. You can choose Play Next from your currently playing playlist and it will resume where it left off in the sequence. I still have the intuition that Playlists should respond the way Playing Now responds to sequence shifting on the fly.
DC

--- End quote ---

Hey all!

I'm a friend of Travis' and a fellow swing DJ and am finally moving over to laptop dj'ing.  The trend is starting where venues are not providing CDs since almost everybody has a laptop to DJ off of [but I digress].

Anyway, I tried to DJ on Monday assuming realtime editing of playlists would work.    Apparently it doesn't eh?  Once you create a playlist you are stuck with it?   DJ'ing from CDs I can obviously change the order of music as fast as it takes me to swap out a CD and select the proper track.    It's really crucial to be able to change your mind during the middle of an existing song if you get inspiration from the crowd or if you decide to keep a certain tempo etc.

I will play around with some of these hints but basically once I create a playlist I'm stuck eh? 

And I will read the response from glynor on Headphone vs. Soundsystem zone with the Add as next to play since I think that is what I will end up needing to master.

One more question, is there a way to keep the current playlist playing until you specifically stop it?  I had trouble surfing around the UI while DJ'ing, I made the mistake of double clicking another playlist and that started the new playlist and stopped the song I was playing in the middle.  [luckily I was at an informal dance so I could get on the mike and tell them how fancy my new DJ software was......]

glynor:
The Playing Now playlist is the "live" playlist.  Any changes you make there will actually affect playback.  The Playlists are fixed once you start playing them (because the contents of them are simply copied over to the special Playing Now list).

Check in the Wiki for the Playing Now FAQ I wrote up for more info:  http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/How_Playing_Now_Works

djstarr:
Thanks Glynor!

I've started working with the "Playing Now" list and it works as expected; I can go delete a song in the list and voila! it won't play; and I like the options to add to playing now at the end or as next to play from the library or another playlist.

One more question if you don't mind - how did you get your split views to go to different zones?  I set up a split view, and set up two zones, but when I toggle between zones both views go to the new zone.   I've looked around at the menus but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks!

soongsc:
For some reason, I was not aware of this thread.  But I do have a few questions regarding DJing Tango milongas.

Normally in a milonga, music are in three or four songs per group which have similar musicality and quite often of the same band.  Whenever DJing for a milonga, the idea is to always have these moved around in a group together, which we call a “tanda”.  In between tandas, there is a different type of music to separate the tandas which we call “cortina” (if I remember correctly).

What I would like to be able to do is always have be able to shift a “tanda” around the playlist as another “tanda” is playing, so that there is better interactive control of the mood in a milonga.

JimH:
MC has a feature called Linked Tracks.  You can use it to always play a set of tracks together. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version