INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC = favorite ipodware? it's about time  (Read 1693 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
MC = favorite ipodware? it's about time
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:11:19 pm »

Except for the inability to transfer truly dynamic playlists on the device (see, I can't stop whining ;)), MC is by far the best program out there to interact with the iPod. This is to me one of the strongest features of MC, one that's not advertised as much as it should be, especially when it comes down to competing with media players you would expect to be better at dealing with the iPod (shame on you iTunes). In any case, it's good to see that cnet included MC in its special collection of favorite ipodware. It's certainly well deserved.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: MC = favorite ipodware? it's about time
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:19:07 am »

They don't seem to go crazy with the marketing and advertising.  They just make a good product and let word spread by mouth.  I tell friends but so many people are not interested in a new media application because kids my age aren't usually that worried about lots of the things MC brings to the table...I've told at least 5-10 people who seem to be very interested in music and they have hardly shown much interested at all.  I can hardly get them to "want" to download the trial version and at least try it out.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 05:09:17 am »

MC is not free.
People will only turn to MC when their free application no longer meets their needs. The knack is to listen out for them bitching about how slow mmjb is getting, or how annoying it is for them that can't view their libraries the way that they want to, or why doesn't wmp make coffee too...

Then you let them know that you have the answer, but it's not free. Give them the trial to trial, and if they're happy, they'll buy.

Incidentally, am I alone in thinking that MC is incorrectly categorized under Jukeboxes? I would have thought that Media Players would have been more appropriate?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:40:08 pm »

I have a hard time understanding free and open-source software when my future employment will depend on charging for software.  I heard a good explanation by someone...everyone but software developers like the idea of free software...and everyone except musicians like the idea of free or really cheap music...if we all just went free, lol.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:34:41 am »

I have a hard time understanding free and open-source software when my future employment will depend on charging for software.  I heard a good explanation by someone...everyone but software developers like the idea of free software...and everyone except musicians like the idea of free or really cheap music...if we all just went free, lol.

Most free software is not really free. iTunes, for an example, does not have a separate price, but it is included in the cost of products you purchase from Apple.  Both the iPod and iStore generate revenue & profit using the software they provide you for 'free'.

Open source is often assumed to be free.  In fact most providers of open source software make money, they just charge for their products in a different way.  The basic software, as an example, may be provided for 'free'. They probably also provide a full version which has typical software fees associated with it.  They also make money from services that go along with their product.  So the software may be free, but they charge for support, hosting services, documentation, education, etc.

My point is, don't worry about future employment because of this.  Many software developers in the future will be working for companies providing free software.   

There is an old saying - "there is no free lunch".  In fact, that is not true.  There are 2 types of free lunches.  Those you have already paid for and those you are yet to pay for.   This applies to software as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up