INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about remote control of MC  (Read 2460 times)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Question about remote control of MC
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:27:11 am »

I store my MC library on a kind of "Media Server". This server is connected to my stereo amplifier.

My wish is to control playing music via notebook. I use WLAN so I can access the media server via notebook using Media Center 12 (plug-In Lirbary Server).

Unfortunately, I only can start playing music on my notebook but not with my stereo amplifier. I need to be able to remotely control MC12! It sounds easy but this seems not possible. Has anyone an idea how to realize this? ?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about remote control of MC
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:16:25 pm »

You can install a VNC server on the computer where you want to play the music and VNC clients on your laptop and any other computers from which you want to control music playback.  The VNC s/w allows you to control the computer where the VNC server runs from another computer with a VNC client running.  Of course, you are taking over full control of the server computer.  It doesn't fit with someone trying to use the server computer at the same time.

Search for threads with "VNC" or "RealVNC" mentioned in the body of a message.

It would be nice if JRiver implemented a cqapability in MC 12 to select music on one PC and play it on anotther PC.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:28:56 pm »

In MC's startup options, you can start a web server called remoteserver.  It will listen for connections from any browser.

Any device that can run a browser can connect to it.

If you want a fancier interface, try musiclobby (cinemaronline.com) or netremote (promixis.com).

rolf_dk

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:18:41 pm »

Hi
I have the same setup using a media pc connected with my stereo and a laptop to control it.

I've used the Netremote software on a PDA for a while (not perfect). But I would like to have full control from my laptop. I also tryid to use Windows XPs Remote Desktop connection but it's not a solution because it takes control over the Media pc (Log the user out).

I'm supriced that this isn't possible in MC12! It would be nice to be able to choose beween playing the music on the remote server and on the client pc. (as Bill suggested)

Anyone know of a VNC that would work?

In version 13 maby?  ::)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 08:34:04 pm »

Anyone know of a VNC that would work?

I use RealVNC and it works for me just fine.  No issues.

Osho

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:29:22 am »

I use already remotely anywhere. In my opinion such possibilities (also like RealVNC) are not satisfying solutions.

MC offers great possibilites with smartlists, view schemes, search lists, ... The http-server functionality doesn't make use of these advantages. A remote control software like realvnc and others slows down speed and usability.

MC offers a lot of good functions like the library server which allows me to run the centrally stored library from any PC. But, I only can run the music on my local device and not on the server. So, like Bill and Rolf_DK proposed, being able to choose between playback locally or remotely would be a perfect thing. 

I don't know the technical impact. It sounds possible to me or am I wrong?

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:06:19 am »

The remote server is not bad, but very limited.
A web 2.0 remote server would be really nice !

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 09:12:57 am »

The remote server is not bad, but very limited.
A web 2.0 remote server would be really nice !

Get the J River WebUI from http://accessories.jrmediacenter.com/mediacenter/accessories.php. It looks better than the default WebUI interface in MC12.

Osho

Messiahs

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 02:28:05 pm »

Thx, Osha. But I already had installed WebUi.
Looks really better than the default WebUi... but its real pity that the remoteserver is not configurable and really not state of the art.

Thx again
Messiahs
Pages: [1]   Go Up