INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copyright question  (Read 2168 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Copyright question
« on: June 02, 2007, 09:42:54 am »

Hello

I'm working on a review of J River Media Center 12 for a Norwegian IT web site called www.ITPro.no. It's my initiative as I've grown sick and tired of the website allways refering to Windows Media player, Center and iTunes as the only way of playing music, video, showing pictures and syncing with iPods.

As I have reinstalled all my systems and currently have no huge library with music, fancy pictures or video in my library at this point, I was wondering how you guys would feel if I made use of a couple of your pictures and possibly a bit of your text from the jrmediacenter.com page?

Is it a nono or a gogo?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copyright question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:22:12 am »

I'm not sure if you were asking all of us, or just the JRiver folks but...

You can consider any and all images I've posted to this forum, or to the Wiki, as licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 (US) License.

Any and all text I've posted to the Wiki you can consider licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 (US) license.

For attribution, a footnote, caption, or in-text comment attributing the work is fine.  For online works, a link to the relevant source is preferred, but not required.  For contributions to the Wiki, the built-in "assumed" wiki license of course supersedes of course.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:55:40 am »

It was mostly a question to the J River staff.
It's not that important. I'll probably get my own library up and running in the time my review is done, but the problem is that I only have music there. At least for now.
Just wanted to know how they felt about their pictures. Maby I'll find something usefull on the wiki.

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:47:11 pm »

I thought you might be.  Either way... If you find anything you want to use, the CC licenses (specifically the one I chose for my images) basically just say that you're free to use it, even for commercial work, as long as you attribute the work in the way specified.  It's just nice to have the "official" license just in case anyone ever asks.

The one I chose for the text is slightly different, mostly due to the Wiki nature.  You can use it, so long as you attribute it, and "if you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible license."  This would NOT apply to attributed quotations (which would be fair use) but to re-purposing of the full work.  Due to the nature of Wiki writing, the attribution would be to the Wiki itself, not to any one individual.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:10:55 pm »

Understood  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 03:20:22 pm »

I was wondering how you guys would feel if I made use of a couple of your pictures and possibly a bit of your text from the jrmediacenter.com page?

Is it a nono or a gogo?
It's fine.  Thanks for asking.  You might want to link to the article that user Mastiff wrote for a Norwegian magazine (I think).

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:45:23 pm »

You might want to link to the article that user Mastiff wrote for a Norwegian magazine (I think).

That's my intention. It's what introduced me to MC :) The article was posted on hardware.no. It's a one of the biggest in norway when it comes to hardware and software related reviews, tests and guides. He did a complete HTPC guide. A fine piece of writing Mastiff did there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up