INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel OGG Support  (Read 2351 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multichannel OGG Support
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:41:37 pm »

In investigating the whole DTS WAV thing, I decided it'd probably be best to convert the files to multichannel OGGs.  I converted them over to OGG using foobar.  I've had a lot of trouble with them in MC though.

They'd import, but they wouldn't play.  I'm assuming this is because MC was trying to use it's own internal OGG playback engine, which apparently doesn't support multichannel audio.  I could easily get the files to play by changing the File Type tag to ogm (which then used Haali+ffdshow to render).  An annoying side effect of changing it was that it would no longer work with G-Force when the file type was set to OGM though.  (I also found that changing it to DTS allowed G-Force to work, but caused other issues.)

IMHO, if it's going to use an internal engine, it'd really be best if it fully supported the format I suppose.  This might not be too reasonable to ask for though, so could we have OGG as a file type in the DirectShow Formats list so that we can configure it to use Haali+FFDSHOW and override the default behavior?  (And if so, can it be done in such a way that G-Force still works -- I'm not sure why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't with DirectShow playback types.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Multichannel OGG Support
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:04 pm »

Interestingly... On the files where G-Force doesn't work (the ones that give "DirectX" as one of the Right Click --> Set Display options), Soft Skies by soundspectrum does work.  G-Force and none of the other MC visualizations work though, except for Cover Art and Track Info.  I suspect this part of it is being blocked manually somewhere in MC's code, because it thinks the file might have a display....

Is there any way we could always get access to the visualizations?  I mean, it's not real likely that you'd want to show the visualizer when playing a video, but there are cases where it could be useful (music videos)... And if it's actually hidden on purpose, and is causing other DirectShow file types to hide access unnecessarily (for example M4A files don't let me use G-Force/visualizers if I check the DirectShow formats box in Options)...

Well then, that's just silly.   ;)

Might as well let us use them for everything... Even AVIs, you know?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:23:52 pm »

And, Matt, does APE support Multichannel audio?  If so, how do I make one out of my DTS WAVs?  I can convert them to 6 separate WAVs if needed...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:17:37 am »

And, Matt, does APE support Multichannel audio?  If so, how do I make one out of my DTS WAVs?  I can convert them to 6 separate WAVs if needed...

Nevermind.  Found it on the Hydrogenaudio Wiki.  (It doesn't support multichannel for anyone interested.)

Because of my OGG problems... I'm thinking of converting them to either FLAC or AAC.  Anyone have any recommendations for a good format to use for multichannel audio with MC?  I'm looking for a compressed format.  I'm mostly a MP3 VBR guy, so I don't really care about lossy vs. lossless as long as it's good quality lossy (on par with LAME -V 2 --vbr-new or better).  I do want it to work reliably with MC without too much hassle, gapless playback needs to work (the OGG files don't since they need to be "faked" as OGMs), and I'd prefer that the visualizers work in MC as well.  Also, if at all possible, I'd really like for MC to be able to store it's tags in the files, for interchange between different computers.

Any suggestions or ideas?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:56:56 pm »

...could we have OGG as a file type in the DirectShow Formats list so that we can configure it to use Haali+FFDSHOW and override the default behavior?

I would love to be able to not only override any in-built format support with Directshow filters, but also to be able to specify/add ANY format to the DS list.

Can Matt add multichannel support?  ;)

We know you've got heaps of spare time to work on it after all :D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 05:11:10 am »

Not sure if this will work or not, but can't you replace the ogg codec with a new one? Doesn't it use the oggenc.dll or something?

Also, I think its under devices or playback, you can set the output channels to stereo, multi or same as source.

I remember I had a few multichannel WAV's, they wouldn't play either. It wasn't what I wanted so I didn't bother to get them to play and trashed them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up