INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is "Statistics"?  (Read 1865 times)

JONCAT

Where is "Statistics"?
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:50:33 pm »

Statistics used to reside in the action window. This was an incredibly useful feature that allowed me to quickly copy & paste lists of my albums while avoiding .xml.

Can we get this feature back? Anyone else want to use it again?

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Where is "Statistics"?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:32:24 pm »

You can view album groupings in details mode.

Tree > Audio > Albums > Details

You can sort, copy to the clipboard, etc.  It's quite powerful, and allows grouping on any field.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:51:28 am »

I figured it got moved around with the move to MC12. But where exactly is this "Details". I don't see it as a field I can add either.

thanks,
DC

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 12:10:17 pm »

Select an audio view scheme.  Then select the 'Library view" you want under the main menu for that view.  You can then switch from Thumbnails to Details under the same menu.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:57:28 pm »

I know about Details but I didn't think that's what Matt meant.

If I set a Scheme up with Album Artist (Auto) & Album, in Details, every track is listed with its respective album.

You need to use [Album Artist (Auto) - Album] to recreate what Statistics offered. EDIT - Nope, this doesn't work either. You can add Artist Album (auto) & Album as Panes but can't copy both together. Album Artist (Auto) - Album still gives you multiple listings for each album depending on how many tracks the album has. This isn't useful for copying to a clipboard nor does it report an accurate # of individual albums.

What I am shooting for is a listing of each album with it's respective Album Artist (auto) next to it. The top pane does it right but I can't seem to copy that to the clipboard, only the bottom pane which isn't the same.

Here's the problem:

www.catuccio.net/stats.jpg

Here's what I want as an end result:

http://www.catuccio.net/All%20Archived%20Jamaican%20Albums.htm
thanks,
DC

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:55:16 am »

Matt,

Am I correct there is no way to currently achieve this without the old Statistics function?

thanks
DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:59:46 am »

I can do it!

Do this, Dr. C....

I'm assuming you want just a listing of albums, with track totals and other info.  If you want a listing of Genres or Artists with similar info, it's just as easy, you just would start out using a Genre/Artist/Album, or simpler Artist/Album view scheme.  For the sake of this example, I'm just going to use my Albums view scheme, which is set up like this (the first of the two Album view items is grouped by letter, the second isn't):

So, select this View Scheme.  Switch to "Tiles Mode" (that's what I call it), by de-selecting Panes (assuming you typically keep it in panes mode) and choosing Album from the view drop-down control.  Then go back to the control and choose Details instead of Thumbnails as the mode (to be clear, I mean choose details for the Tiles part of the view, not the file listing).  I think you know all this, but I'm just explaining it thoroughly just in case!

You can arrange the columns of that details mode however you'd like.  Then, select the albums (in that top details view) that you want the info on (or Control-A to grab em all), and right-click --> Edit --> Copy.

You can then open up an application to paste the info into.  I like to use Excel for this as it's easiest to work with.  You can use Word, or even just Notepad if you want, but you'll have to reformat the info a bit to deal with line wrapping issues.  Select the top Cell in Excel and Paste, and you'll be rewarded with this:

If you create a view scheme with a carefully organized "top details pane" you should be able to get everything you want.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:06:33 am »

Dang that's funky, I forgot the Tiles could be set to Details like that. I simply NEVER do it. That must have been what Matt meant; I just didn't pick up on it. I had some problems for a second but realized there were a bunch of files that had been mis-tagged so that Album Artist (Auto) was filled from the Artist field resulting in incorrect "stats" for albums; I retagged and things are looking good. I use Excel as you reccomended to make some lists of my collections. Thanks so much Glynor & good luck on your printing mission.

DC

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:44:53 am »

also thx to Glynor! I didn't know Media Center offers such a nice feature!

I would recommend to allow setting such a view as an default view automatically. I would expect the majority of MC users are not aware of this feature!

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 07:02:00 pm »

To get simple stats, just go to the STANDARD audio PANE view.  Then look under Artist and Album.  You'll see All (#).  That number is the total number of each item.

I still would like a simple stats page but it doesn't look like it will be coming back as I've asked for it at least 2 or 3 times.

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:49:07 pm »

But the Pane view won't give a way to do what I linked to & Glynor's .xls above. Furthermore if you are using Artist as the default field it is not an accurate reflection of the Artists if you have different Artist tags on an album and have not set Album Artist to the default artist. I often use the Artist field to retain original Artist info as given on 45's; these can vary greatly.

For example, Baba Brooks was a Jamaican ska/blue beat trumpeter and I have listings as:

Baba Brooks
Bab Brooks Band
Baba Brooks & His Almighty Ska Band
Baba Brooks Band
Baba Brooks & Dizzy Moore

etc.

Commonly, you'll have an album where one track will have a duet or someone who joins in etc. and you want to mention it. The problem here is that you have Artist filed empty - fill it with Baba Brooks. Now you have Album Artist (Auto) accurately reflecting "what's going on" on the album. Now you decide to modify track 3 because you notice in the liner notes that Dizzy Moore is playing trumpet along with Baba Brooks. Change Artist to Dizzy Moore and Album Artist (Auto) now dictates that there are two of these albums; one with with only one track. Some have argues that you could simply add this extra info into the Name field or somewhere else but it makes sense to have it here, it's intuitive. And MC makes a nice provision in that you can simply decide to use Album Artist to retain Baba Brooks under both Album Artist & Album Artist (auto). But this field, Album Artist, is not initially filled even when you start tagging all the files on the album with the same artist, so if you make a change in Artist as noted above you should use the Copy Field function.

This all works great except for the problem of Multiple Artist discs. If you have a lot of these compilations, mixes, etc. and want to retain accurate Stats then you want to keep them as Multiple Artists = 1 Disc. I didn't like browsing through Artist Album (auto) (which unifies all of Baba Brooks' various name incarnations under "Baba Brooks") and when I enter the Baba Brooks tile....that is not all of his music in there. There may be 5,10, even 20 tracks that are "stuck" in the (Multiple Artists) Tile. I am sure there is another way around this but my solution was to create a new field (Album Artist (Custom)) to accomodate this since I like to have all an Artist's work under one Tile. Another reason to not use Artist is that if you have a TON of multiple artist discs, this field gets cluttered. You end up with very esoteric and unknown artist "cluttering" your browsing. Imagine a library of 200,000 songs; the Artist field looks whack. It's simply overwhleming. But you can keep it as a seperate view and then have a trimmed down version where you run through all the comps. and when you see "big name" artists or your favorites who already have their own entire albums and Tiles, you add only select choices to your custom field; the result is a much more clean browse. You can still have all your other views by Album or Artist or play entire Genres on shuffle but this is just something that unites the two ideas I mentioned....1. to pull out artists from the Multiple Artists Tile and make a comprehensive listing of their work under one Tile (e.g. Bob Dylan contains Bob Dylan & The Band, Bob Dylan & The Hawks, Dylan & The Dead, Dylan & Clapton) 2. make a custom view scheme which reflects more popular artists or favorites that is realistic to peruse (i.e. free of one hit wonders).

You can read the entire ramble here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32740.msg231764#msg231764

Now some poeple don't want this but I think if want to have your collection as albums you can have simply another view for that, which I do. LunchmeatVoom says, "I like to view my collection as "albums" ie. what I would have if I was still using vinyl or CDs.

I don't want my folder for Elton John (read John, Elton) to include random tracks here and there of whatever compilations he might be on."

I have a seperate scheme for this; no text under Tiles and Albums listed in order by Album Artist (Custom). It's like flipping through a large CD book ordered by Artist.

My point is that if I were to use Artist, I would retain maybe 5,000 artists when many would be various spelling changes, naming schemes, or duets and realistically I would have only 3700 unique artists. The nice thing is you can use a custom field as descirbed for viewing but still retain Album Artist (auto) for stats & also you have Artist for display name of the actual playing track which gives you the definitve info on who is actually playing, singing, or jamming on the track w/o resorting to another field.

DC

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 08:29:17 am »

To get simple stats, just go to the STANDARD audio PANE view.  Then look under Artist and Album.  You'll see All (#).  That number is the total number of each item.

COuld you explain this more precisely? I choose the "top level" view which is Audio. What do you mean with "look under Artist and Album"? Does your explaination a certain standard view scheme?

Thx!

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 01:57:45 pm »

Benn was pointing out that when in Panes mode, the (All) at the top of the list is the total number of items in that field. Audio mode Pane is the top tier for your audio files so use that for either method described here.

If you want "real" Statistics, read what Glynor posted above; it is a step by step method to  report unique artist albums.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up