INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pix01.com partially down, Tinyurl.com down  (Read 1207 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Pix01.com partially down, Tinyurl.com down
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:46:50 am »

Our photo site, pix01.com, is partially disabled.  It relies on tinyurl.com which is completely down at the moment.

Stay tuned.

dcwebman

Re: Pix01.com partially down, Tinyurl.com down
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 04:23:59 pm »

Jim,
I was going to post something when this first happened but didn't bother. I was thinking about it this morning though and unless you have a specific need to use Tinyurl.com, you could easily implement this same functionality on pix01.com and then you would only have your one website to make sure everything is working. I am not exactly sure how Tinyurl.com's website works, but I know a process that should work very easily for you. Please let me know if you are interested.
Jeff
Jeff

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »

Hi Jeff,

We're working on it, but there's a lot of other stuff to do too. I was thinking of having a database with a table with 2 fields: ID and URL. ID starts at 1 and goes up. Then the "tinyurl" part is figured by the base 62 representation (using 0-9A-Za-z) of the ID. Sound like what you were thinking?

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:48:29 pm »

Jim,
I was going to post something when this first happened but didn't bother. I was thinking about it this morning though and unless you have a specific need to use Tinyurl.com, you could easily implement this same functionality on pix01.com and then you would only have your one website to make sure everything is working. I am not exactly sure how Tinyurl.com's website works, but I know a process that should work very easily for you. Please let me know if you are interested.
Jeff

Thanks.  We're interested.  We did a simple version of something like tinyurl, and we're probably going to switch soon so we're not dependent on it, but please let us know what you think.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:50:09 am »

I was trying to think how tinyurl does it with just the website name and path, like http://www.pix01.com/12345. Now let me preface this by saying that I have only worked with the Windows environment and not PHP/Unix/etc.

The first thing of course is coming up with a "tinyurl" number. You need to make it unique somehow because otherwise somebody can start entering numbers sequentially to see people's albums that might have set them private. Maybe the base 62 does this or mixing it with the user's login info. So you get the unique number and store it in the database with the URL.

Now as far as getting that unique number out of the database, you create a custom 404 error page (page not found). This is possible in Windows servers with ASP and I assume in Unix/PHP although I see pix01 doesn't have one yet so maybe not. Anyways on the 404 error page, you would get the number if it was only in the format of http://www.pix01.com/12345, search the database for 12345 and if found, redirect to the URL. If it's not in the database, then you would just put up your normal page not found error message.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up