INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Feedback: Apple iPod 5.5G 80GB  (Read 4207 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Need Feedback: Apple iPod 5.5G 80GB
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:59:53 pm »

There are quite a few things that make me want to buy that bugger, 80GB storage, sound quality, highly appraised interface with search function, and, last but not least, GAPLESSPLAYBACK :P .

Some things I am afraid of, compatibility with Windows/MC12, DRM, format restrictions.

I have a Cowon iAudio U3 (4GB), I think the sound is excellent (better than Creative ZEN V for instance) with my Grado SR125 headphone, I use it in my car too. The iPod need to at least match that sound quality. The interface is mediocre, I don't like that little joystick to move around, and don't talk to me about creating playlists. Format support is excellent (including Flac & Ogg). No gapless playback though and 4GB is just not enough :) Like I know now what I want to listen tomorrow on my way to work ...

So especially those with a similar iPod, please chime in, I'll be reading older posts here as well (and use the search function for a change) but it'l be nice to get a concise pros & cons list.

TIA.
Ingemar.

RFB

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Need Feedback: Apple iPod 5.5G 80GB
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:09:34 pm »

Well, the 5.5g iPod (I have a 30GB) has the reputation of having very good sound quality, the best of all the generations of iPods.  That said, Cowon generally has a rep of having BETTER sound quality than Apple iPods.  That at least is what I've read on various forums; I have to mention I've never heard a Cowon player. 

That said, have you considered a X5 or X5L?  Those are supposed to have excellent sound quality and come in 30 and 60GB capacities.

What sold me on the iPod is the combination of easy UI, aftermarket for accessories and the level of support from Apple and third parties and the wealth of information available on the web.  I don't consider myself an audiophile, though I like good sound.  I consider the iPod very good (I also own a Zune, and that has better sound quality.).

Rick

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:30:39 am »

Yes I have. And the Creative Zen 60GB as well.

The Cowon is nice, but more expensive, has less storage, comes with the fuzzy joystick operation and does not support gapless playback. Also, it has a storage limit of 10,000 files and 2000 folders. The Zen is nice too and relatively cheap, but also has 60gb, the joystick, mediocre user interface and no gapless playback.

I should try and find a shop with ipods so that I can listen to them. ...  ::)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:01:06 pm »

Ah well. Got the iPod  ;D hehe

I'm happy. I was kinda scared it would not live up to Cowon's sound quality but here's my opinion; all settings to default the iPod sounds better. The Cowon has a setting called BBE. Put it on 1 and they almost sound the same, but the difference is neglectible, really.

I need to get used to the wheel, I tend to jump over the item I need and instinctively I start to turn the wrong way around ? Maybe 'cos I'm a lefty ;)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:00:26 pm »

Ah well. Got the iPod  ;D hehe

I'm happy. I was kinda scared it would not live up to Cowon's sound quality but here's my opinion; all settings to default the iPod sounds better. The Cowon has a setting called BBE. Put it on 1 and they almost sound the same, but the difference is neglectible, really.

I need to get used to the wheel, I tend to jump over the item I need and instinctively I start to turn the wrong way around ? Maybe 'cos I'm a lefty ;)

Some people don't like them, but I've been buying iPods since they first came out.  I have 2 80gb units, which replaced 2 60gb units with replaced 2 of everything before that ... 

The good news is I have 2 sons that love all of the hand me downs.  They are hoping I get the iPhones so they get the 80gb units.  Of course that won't happen for awhile as there is not enough storage.

I think you will like your new unit.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

yeah, I like it. Although I was too quick concluding the sound quality was the same as the iaudio u3. It generally is, and it's good, but some songs really don't sound that dynamic, like its flattened or compressed. Not a lot but noticable.

What I really regret is that there is no custom EQ setting only preset? That sucks BT...

I heard someone say that you could browse albums by album art? Is that right and if so, how does it work?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:10:49 pm »

Well, so much for the iPod. Harddisk just died on me.

Crap ....

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:26 pm »

Well, so much for the iPod. Harddisk just died on me.

Crap ....

The only good news is that Apple is good about fixing or replacing them.  I've found it's best if you just drop by an Apple store, but I don't know if they have them where you are.  I live in Los Angeles, so there are a lot of stores here.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:35:37 am »

Yeah, I got 2 around here and a few more within 1 hour drive.

I'll drop it off today or tomorrow, but it still sucks.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 11:51:11 pm »

Yeah, I got 2 around here and a few more within 1 hour drive.

I'll drop it off today or tomorrow, but it still sucks.
I agree.  part of the problem is the disc drives themselves.  They are very large drives (storage) for a small physical size.  They are pushing the technology.  You will note that the 80gb unit is the same physical size as the 60gb unit.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:27:51 am »

WooT! Got me a shiny new iPod  :P :P

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:59 pm »

Your not gonna believe this.

Same thing happened  :o

I cancelled a sync to try some things out. I 'eject', wait for the menu but instead it reboots and reboots and reboots and reboots and reboots.....

I came home, put it on the desk and plugged it in. Haven't walked around with it or even touched it while syncing.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 02:28:31 pm »

OMG!

The third one, picked it up today and it does the same thing!

This time I just used Itunes and synched in batches. Only until the last batch was done it started doing this.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 03:01:14 pm »

I think I'm just gonna forget about ever owning an ipod, trash it and don't look back. Geesh ....  :'(

My God what kind of crap can cause this to happen??? I don't believe its really broken but I think for some reason its boot area gets damaged.

I mean I've got a million things connected to these usb ports and none of my previous mp3 players ever had a problem.

Btw, when I hook up the ipod Everything else but the mouse is disconnected or turned off.

Bloody ipods. ....  I can't believe this is happening ... >:(

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 04:14:32 pm »

Oke. I got it back to work.

I was able to get it into diagnostic mode, ran some tests and resetted it. I was then able to get it into disk mode and it got recognized by windows again. I was able to reinitialize the ipod and now its working again.

But for how long? What the heck is happening every time I sync it? I really don't get it.

I think this weekend I'm gonna spend my time getting Linux on my ipod. yes 5.5G is working but still unsupported. Pff like this is any fun ....

But this does make me wonder if Apple switched 3 ipods for nothing because they could have done this themself ... I think?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »

Hm I think I'm gonna forget about linux any time soon. Too experimental for my likings.  :-\

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 02:36:03 am »

Update of my ipod troubles.

The hotfix didn't work for me as my ipod got corrupted again after a full sync. This happens exactly at the time of ejecting. Apple/M$ claim that iTunes does not suffer from the 'ejec' bug, but for me this happened with itunes a couple of times.

I installed Windows 2003, MC12 and synced a few batches. This worked. I did a full sync and this morning ejected the ipod and it got corrupted again.

This is looking like it has to do with my hardware and I am now testing on another pc with Vista 32bit and the hotfix installed.

*sigh*  :-\

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 09:50:16 am »

And the same thing is happening on the other pc.

Could certain mp3 files in my collection cause this?

The apple guy did mention that in rare occasions an mp3 could corrupt the ipod, similar to a virus. But I think it would happen during the upload and not when ejecting.

:-\

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 02:52:41 pm »

Sure looks like you are having trouble.  For what it's worth, I've never had this problem.  I currently sync 3 iPods all the time (2 80gb & 1 60gb). 

You have already ruled out:
1) the iPod itself (probably all 3 were just fine)
2) hardware
3) OS

So I think you are probably correct in assuming it in something in your library (a specific mp3 file maybe).

From what you reported, the problem appears to be triggered by the eject.  I would suggest more tests if you have not already done them. 

1) Do not eject at all. I would do the sync, close MC, shutdown windows, & unplug the iPod.  If the iPod is not corrupted, it suggests that something is going wrong during the eject.  If the iPod is corrupted, the corruption may be occurring during the sync itself.
2) I assume you did the eject from within MC.  I would also try it using the windows command and verify that you you get the same results.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 03:39:42 am »

Ah thx randy. The shutdown is a good tip, I hadn't thought of that.

I ejected using windows and MC and Itunes. I can eject a hundred times in a row from using the three methods without corrupting it. It is happening all the time yesterday and today as I am trying to get the ipod recognized in osx in vmware  ::), but it seems to eject every time whenever I try to connect it in vmware. Must have happened a zillion times already but it keeps working.

I am going to continue syncing artist by artist and ejecting after each one. See what that brings.

I am also going to try and install osx natively on my machine as all my hardware seems to be supported, except that I don't have an SATA dvd drive (will pick one up today). That would be neat, dual booting between vista and osx :)

Thx again.
Ingemar.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 04:37:02 pm »

OSX is running almost perfectly (few minor driver issues with sound and video).

I've reinitialized the ipod so its formatted for Macintosh right now.

I've been syncing relatively small batches and with the last batch (1500 files) it started rebooting again.

I've narrowed this down to 600 now so tonight I must be getting closer to the actual file causing this, hopefully.

IF this is really 1 single file causing my troubles, I am really curious if another ipod video user is willing to test that file too. The ipod has to be put into disk mode to be recognized and then reinitialized, erasing all data.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 04:55:53 pm »

FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!!

An album I ripped myself, by Queensryche, Q2K. Put a track of that album on my ipod and it wont boot.

BUT

Putting the ipod in disk mode and removing that file simply restores the ipod. No need to reinitialize so the ipod doesn't get corrupted. I'm guessing there may be something in the tags that cause this. I'll test that tomorrow. Sleepy time :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 10:20:53 pm »

FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!! FOUND IT!!!

Glad you found it and hope you got a good nights sleep. :)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 12:12:17 am »

Glad you found it and hope you got a good nights sleep. :)

;D

Ipod synced fine, finally.

JaysonG

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.... I might not.
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 02:34:23 pm »

Did you ever find out what it was in your tag that caused it?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 02:15:42 am »

No, not really. I own the CD and ripped it myself. The only thing in there was a comment from EAC etc in the comment field.

The song was synced to a legion of other media players and streamed without a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up