INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring Old Music And Radio Broadcasts  (Read 2273 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Restoring Old Music And Radio Broadcasts
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:25:34 pm »

I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Any Knowledge On Vintage Recording Devices Of The 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's Etc....

And What Would Be Needed Or Used In Restoring Old Recordings From Albums, And Old Tape Devices.

Also What Would the Proper Settings For MP3 (Media Center Lame Settings) To Reclaim The Sound But Only Using The The Highest Setting As Needed To Properly Store Quality Sounds. Meaning I Am Sure A Recording Device 1920's Would Not Need A MP3 Setting Of 320Kbps To Properly Record From The Vintage Recording Since The Vintage Recording Device Would Not Have Recorded The Full Spectrum Of Sound As Today's Recording Devices Do.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Restoring Old Music And Radio Broadcasts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:54:05 pm »

Hi,
I've got many old mp3 radio show series and they are either recorded at 32Kbps or 64Kbps. I prefer the 64 but since these old recordings are primarily vocal, 32Kbps is quite adequate in most cases. If you want to try to clean them up I'd suggest the excellent "GoldWave" (www.goldwave.com) audio editing program.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Fred

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:37 pm »

When looking to start converting my vinyl and cassettes I did a fair bit of searching for and demoing various products.
I ended up with this product http://www.diamondcut.com/.
More to the point they started out converting old edison lateral recordings for the Edison National Historic Site so they do know a thing or two about restoring old recordings.
You may want to at least have a look at their forums if not try their software to see what they are all about.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:16:03 am »

Hi,
I've got many old mp3 radio show series and they are either recorded at 32Kbps or 64Kbps. I prefer the 64 but since these old recordings are primarily vocal, 32Kbps is quite adequate in most cases. If you want to try to clean them up I'd suggest the excellent "GoldWave" (www.goldwave.com) audio editing program.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Fred

Fred,
a question concerning GoldWave(sorry King, it's your thread): Is it possible to edit mp3's directly or do they have to be converted in wave before editing?

Thanks

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:57:45 am »

Like most editing software out there, there is a conversion required but you'd be working with vocal, rather than music files, so the loss of quality would be minimal.
I havn't found any reasonably priced direct MP3 editing software anywhere. You might go to www.videohelp.com or www.cdfreaks.com to look further into it.
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up