INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you could rip a DVD disc you owned, would it be OK to share it on the Internet

Yes -- without limitation
- 5 (9.1%)
Yes -- with a friend or two
- 6 (10.9%)
No
- 44 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD file sharing -- would you do it?  (Read 3069 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
DVD file sharing -- would you do it?
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »

Assuming you could rip DVD's, should this be for your personal use, or would it be OK to offer your files for download via Internet?

We're trying to learn whether people who rip are also willing to share.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: DVD file sharing -- is it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:28:31 pm »

Ripping for your own use, of DVDs that you own, is OK.

Sharing the ripped results, over the internet or by other means, is stealing.  This is not OK.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 02:03:31 pm »

Yeah and I'm to stingy to share.... why should I buy a DVD for 19$ and then give someone for free...
no that´s stealing and stupid. >:(
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

gappie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 03:16:04 pm »

i dont share dvds over the internet or copy them for friends. in some special cases sometimes a cd (like when the cd is not available anymore). but i happely lend the original dvd/cd to anyone i know.

i also dont download movies that are illegaly distributed with torrent etc.

i really think it is stealing from the artist and the companies 'supporting' them. and altough i believe that there is alot wrong in the music/movie industry, stealing is not the way to oppose against it.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:52:21 pm »

Ripping for your own use, of DVDs that you own, is OK.

Sharing the ripped results, over the internet or by other means, is stealing.  This is not OK.

A succinct, to the point description of 'fair use' as I interpret it...

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 05:44:43 pm »

lol.  Sharing is absolutely illegal.  That's the whole point of fair use.  You can rip a copy of content for yourself (or perhaps your household) only!  I am more than happy to share my content but I know it's illegal.  My DSL connection has a nice up stream connection and I consistently see over 100 KB/second uploading with bittorrent if enough people request something I'm hosting.

Wouldn't it be great if MC had built in content obtaining services?  Just say, "I want Saw 3." and MC would automatically find another MC user with a DVD rip of Saw 3 and then start downloading it to my personal library?  My connection is usually still and my server is on 24/7.  It could download full speed at night and partial speed when a computer is turned on.  I could get a pile of movies every month for free!

Wouldn't it be nice?

The only time I am willing to download material is if it is not available on DVD.  There is a television show I absolutely love.  South Park, Simpsons, and this show are the three shows I follow all the time.  Unfortunately, the third show is not available on DVD for licensing issues.  Therefore, I have spent around $300 on South Park & Simpsons (EACH) but only $30 on that last show because only one season is available.  It's probably obvious which show it is.  If the other seasons are released, I will buy them all ASAP.  Downloaded quality is not always that great.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:44:56 pm »

I have about 450 Movies On DVD Known To Be In The Public Domain.

Any B Or C Rated Movies Should Be In The Public Domain Since No One Would Buy It In The First Place.

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:57:14 pm »

this is worded in a confusing manner, the topic of the thread is stated in the opposite vein of the poll, as a result I answered opposite my intended answer.   :(
. . . the game is rigged

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:00:22 am »

Yeah that´s right....

if you ask the question in that way everyone will say something against sharing.

But I don´t think that someone who buys Mc12 legal will share DVDs.
-- Albert Einstein

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 03:11:20 am »

The problem is bandwith. Even with a fast connection it just takes too long to download a full quality DVD. And anything else (even those so called DVDR Scene Releases, that are compressed with multi-pass VBR into fitting on a 4.7 GB DVD-R or DVD+R) just isn't worth watching in my opinion. DVD's are already compressed to a point where you sometimes gets artifacts (on bad releases), and now we're finally on the way to a better medium (well, two, but how's fighting?), so I see no reason to settle for less. At least on my system I see a clear difference between 4.7 compressed DVD's and the originals. Then again my system is pretty revealing when it comes to quality!

Still. I agree with the above comments, that ripping for your own use is fair use, sharing is stealing. And DVD's are rather cheap, to be honest. In Norway you can usually get new movies for $ 20-25, and that's less than the cost of a CD! I know what I use my money on... ;)

On the other hand a friend of mine and I sometimes buy a bunch of DVD's when we have our rather famous drunken movie weekends, and during the weekend I rip the movies to my hard drives (I have a few gigs for that kind of use...) while he keeps the originals. I don't see that much of a difference between that and borrowing his originals when I want to watch them again or watch the extra material, or show them to my wife (usually the movies aren't fit for kids - brutal, often extreme horror and action is the dish of these weekends - if you think Saw or The Hills Have Eyes are bad, you probably wouldn't live through the italian cult material we often watch!).
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: DVD file sharing -- would you do it?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:56:50 am »

I'll admit I occasionally (more often these days...) download TV-show from the internet. But this is due to the fact that:
- Norway has no HDTV broadcast's yet.
- My cable line really, really (i mean really!) suck!

But I never create material for upload. Of course bittorent force me to share at the same time, but i don't realease anything on bittorrent myself.

It is illigal, but I have my download skeletons... I am not very happy with the way music and movie industry tries to form the market, so my moral migth be a bit low at the time beeing. But still, I would not share stuff I have payd for...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:58:52 am »

this is worded in a confusing manner, the topic of the thread is stated in the opposite vein of the poll, as a result I answered opposite my intended answer.   :(
I think you can change your answer.  I changed the subject slightly.

From "... is it wrong? to "... would you do it?"

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:55 am »

~~~~~~~~Even with a fast connection it just takes too long to download a full quality DVD~~~~~~~~~~

300kps download speed here from a well know ex german place .
It is not that i may call slow , even for a full double layer DVD.

Anyway , first let's have a REAL Fair Use rules , after that, let's see what going on .
I include in Fair Use no protected music or movies at realistic price.
Or renting like Yahoo service , but without limitation of number of computers-or, if yes more than 2 or 3 like all this deals are-, players. -One household subscription.

I do not know if all movies on my drive can be put under the Fair Use flag -- And i do not care, to tell you the true-
They are french movies never out in movie theater , and not on DVD here.
Only way is to buy it from France - Why not, sure , just you want to know about postage rates ?

So i got copy or uploads from family and from playing it do buy some , but not much , really .Not that much movies you feel like to play them many many times.
If i was able to find a streaming or downloading paying service i will use it , really , much simple than parcels or upload/download, but there is none avaible here and the few i saw in USA [i think ]  are just to much expensive and movie got a very very short life span to make it worth.

For movies  you can find here , they are cheap, second hand shops are full of DVDs.We are few freinds sharing our DVDs- as we did with our LPs and tapes and Videos- and i would not care to download any compressed DVD to save few $$, as i do not care to rip them

If living in USA i would not give a dam about getting copy or downloading, first i will take a Netflix subscription and ask family for only the few movies not at Netflix.
I'am very much in favor of this renting thing, but when i rent a car , turning right is not DRM , when i rent a flat, doors of each rooms can be open.
Price need to be as the Yahoo deal , NO MORE.
If some of you are in the bar , restaurant trade they know the product giving the higger % of income ==
The plain simple expresso -fast, easy, cheap, you sell tons of it each day- Making small money on each , yes, but selling loads of it.
Now try to make the expresso double price, to be drink in one minute or removed from the table , forbiden to be drink in this and that  part of the bar and take away forbiden... good luck.

In France average Internet deal is
Box with server- internet- phone- 10 free TV chanels
HEIGHT or SEVEN giga download 1,5 upload for something like $20 a month ... far from Napster time .... So better to find a fair , cool way to offer products, cause with such speeds  and protected ways of sharing, the new game in town is sharing of lossless files.

So, back to question, no i will not share any movie i may rip in MC.

Not out of respect to anyone or anything. I do not respect the ones thinking i'am sh... snow i mean...

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:15 am »

Yeah and I'm to stingy to share.... why should I buy a DVD for 19$ and then give someone for free...
no that´s stealing and stupid. >:(
Didn't you ever buy a CD and lent it to a friend ?...
Downloading media from someone you know is a way of borrowing music. What does it change to get a physical support or just files ? (In fact it makes it legal or not, but I rather disagree with that...). I just try to encourage my friends to buy music and don't share music with people I don't know... "If you like it, buy it !"
The second point is family sharing. I've always listened to my father's and elder brother's music. I've also got a younger sister, and now that we don't live together, I don't see why she could not do the same and listen to my music (this is part of her education ^^).
The topic was about DVD, but I don't think it's much different...

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 11:34:41 am »

I guess it depends on the DVD.  Where I live it is illegal to share copyrighted DVD's.  While it would be OK to share public domain materials (or those I own the copyright to), my upload speed is to slow to really effectively share the large files.

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:45 pm »

Didn't you ever buy a CD and lent it to a friend ?...
Downloading media from someone you know is a way of borrowing music. What does it change to get a physical support or just files ? (In fact it makes it legal or not, but I rather disagree with that...). I just try to encourage my friends to buy music and don't share music with people I don't know... "If you like it, buy it !"
The second point is family sharing. I've always listened to my father's and elder brother's music. I've also got a younger sister, and now that we don't live together, I don't see why she could not do the same and listen to my music (this is part of her education ^^).
The topic was about DVD, but I don't think it's much different...

Yes I did but friends are how can I say more familiar...
They also help you and share things with you....that´s ok but it´s much different than going to bittorrent and to share things...
-- Albert Einstein

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:36:34 pm »

I'd be willing to use my upload bandwidth for sharing content but the issue is obvious legality.  It would be great if more things entered public domain more quickly, but that doesn't seem possible at this point.  It will take huge changes to get any copyright laws to change.

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:51:18 pm »

Well , i'am not sure to understand  , or it is that you say has to do with Before drink and After drink hours.......

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »

I am more than happy to share my content but I know it's illegal.  My DSL connection has a nice up stream connection and I consistently see over 100 KB/second uploading with bittorrent if enough people request something I'm hosting.

« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:36:34 PM »

I'd be willing to use my upload bandwidth for sharing content but the issue is obvious legality.

SO ?  Can you help us to understand what you mean ?
Or one of this posts was for another forum , maybe -- just typing in the wrong window ?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:09 pm »

it seems the beginnings of streaming video is here, youtube.com maybe sparking some of this, maybe it first started with Podcasting.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/streamingserver/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/compare/webservvstreamserv.aspx
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 11:59:57 pm »

I think it would be really terrific if Media Center could rip DVD's and/or re-encode them for other formats. It would certainly make my life easier, and managing my videos easier as well. Whether this support is built-in or available via plug-in makes no difference to me. Let's face it, anyone who's backed up any of their DVDs knows what a pain it was to hunt down those programs which will do this. Adding support to rip non-copy protected DVDs is just plain useless. There are tons of programs that do this, and with the exception of a few DVDs I've made from my mini-DV camera, everything I own is copy protected, so they're all useless. You've really got to wonder why they've added the functionality when it doesn't actually function.

Having said that, you've gotta have pretty big cojones and deep wallets to take on the MPAA. They're wrong, the DMCA is wrong, and if challenged in court, it would probably be knocked down. The problem is that such a challenge could take years and millions of dollars to be successful. I doubt JRiver has that type of spare change to commit to such an endeavor.

Now, if the functionality were added, but not advertised as such, sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing... nah, that could never happen.

Jakester

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 12:50:26 pm »

rip DVDs for my own use - you betcha

share them - nope - not music files either - that's stealing
Pages: [1]   Go Up