INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deferred CDDB Lookup for Offline Ripping  (Read 2447 times)

prong

• Recent member
Deferred CDDB Lookup for Offline Ripping
« on: August 27, 2002, 10:11:51 am »

Does Media Jukebox provide (or plan to provide in an upcoming version) a method for deferring the track info lookup on CDDB until the next time the computer is online?  This is one of the few things I liked about MusicMatch before giving it up.  Anyone have other convenient methods for achieving the same result?

Also, why can't multiple tracks be looked up simultaneously on CDDB??

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Deferred CDDB Lookup for Offline Ripping
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 10:15:23 am »

I think that some people have done similar things by putting a stack of CD's in, letting CDDB look up the tracks, then going on without ripping to the next CD.  After you're all done, you can go back and rip.  Or so I think.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 03:09:11 pm »

Jim,

Yes this is very possible. Have done many marathon sessions with CDDB. Best bet is to disable auto playback. When a disk is first inserted you may have to click on the CD, DVD, & Handheld to get some action. After one is done , eject and throw in another. Next time disk is inserted it will not look up from CDDB. But, the info will be there.

As a side note. If you use EAC, it somehow manages to pilfer this info from MJ. CDDB is an option in EAC and must be able to get the info that MJ found. ??

Listening to: 'Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck' from 'Cleansing' by 'Prong' on Media Jukebox

prong

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 03:38:38 pm »

In other words, I have to load all the CDs twice:
Once while online to get the track in from CDDB, and
again later when offline to do the encoding.  That's just crying for a solution like MusicMatch that saves all the CDDB lookup info until later when the computer is connected.

JimH

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 03:44:31 pm »

Hey!  Putting a CD in twice?  

Are you a man or a mouse?
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 03:47:29 pm »

Am I missing something here? Once you have the info, you have the info. If you are looking for a way to bypass altogether, check out device settings under options and uncheck the CDDB box. Either way you have to put the disk back in to rip. That would be twice with either JB.

prong

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 04:00:03 pm »

First, this is about smart software (that I'm willing to spend money on), not about my manhood.

Second, there's absolutely no reason to have to insert the CD twice.  Perhaps I should be more clear.  With MusicMatch, the process goes like this:
1. Insert CD to be ripped (the ONLY time this CD ever enters my computer)
2. Software checks to see if I'm connected to the internet.  If I am, it gets track info.  If not, it asks me for the Artist name and Album name, and probably saves some other information in a file to be used later.
3. CD is ripped.  Tracks are placed in specified directory with "Track ??.mp3" filenames.
4. CD is ejected. FOREVER.  Never to be seen again.
5. Tomorrow, or next week, or next year, when I connect to the Internet and MusicMatch is running, it detects that I have ripped some CDs while offline.
6. The software refers to a file containing the previously stored CD information, looks up the track info, and automatically updates the filenames and ID3 tags of all the files.

This really can't be that difficult to implement.  I'm currently wishing that this were an open-source project so I could just jump in and do it myself.  I've already written a Perl script perform an equivalent task, but wish it was built in to MJ.

Why is this so important?  Suppose you'd like to rip a CD onto your laptop when visiting a friend without an Internet connection.  Do you really want to type in all the track titles by hand?

sekim

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 04:07:53 pm »

Rip one. Select file, right click. Get info from CDDB. See if that works. May have to do it one at a time.

prong

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 04:10:28 pm »

"Get info from CDDB" requires being connected to the Internet.  The CD and my Internet access are separated in space-time.

JimH

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 04:11:14 pm »

Prong,
I'm not questioning your manhood.  I don't know what you are.

The way it works here is as follows.  Changes get made during beta.  8.0 is probably frozen now.  9.0 is about to be beta.  You can help.

For now, you'll have to do some extra work.  Sorry.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 04:11:28 pm »

Disable CDDB lookup first. Then rip. Then re-enable CDDB. Then lookup from the file properties > tools. It does do this.

prong

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2002, 04:18:36 pm »

Jim--

I'd love to help.  Please include me in the beta testing.

I would use MusicMatch, but I really don't like their UI, and I feel the as a whole, MJ is far superior.  One of the reasons I had to write that Perl script to automatically lookup track info from CDDB was because the feature I'm discussing was not perfect.  I ripped around 80 CDs with MusicMatch.  Afterwards, I connected to the Internet for deffered CD lookup.  After it had looked up a few CDs, I inserted another CD for ripping.  For some reason, this interrupted my deffered CD lookup process, and the file that is used by MM to start the process had been deleted.  Something to look out for if you add this to ver. 9.

Jeremy

JimH

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2002, 04:24:49 pm »

Hi Jeremy,
We're working on making something better than CDDB now.  You can search for YADB here to see what's happened.  Right now, we're in the middle of a critical switch and stability is the big goal.  Later, we'll be able to do a lot more.  In the past, we were tied to what CDDB would let us do.  No more.

When the beta's out, you'll read it here first, and you're welcome to try it.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2002, 05:16:09 pm »

Just Give Me My Rock And Roll Music

'I Dig Rock & Roll Music' Peaked Charts At 09 In 1967

Listening to: 'I Dig Rock & Roll Music' from 'The Best Of' by 'Peter Paul And Mary' on Media Jukebox

Media Server: 24.88.229.242:9
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up