INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Monitor setup (again and again..)  (Read 1097 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Dual Monitor setup (again and again..)
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:49:30 am »

Hello,
Still not happy with my dual monitor setup..
Maybe somebody here can give me a hint..
Setup: 2 monitors. #1 Small LCD (secondary) - for Standard View MC12 (Audio) and other Windows stuff (all icons, taskbar). #2 Large LCD TV (primary)- for Theater View MC12 (Movies, Pictures) and games. I made the Large LCD primary so that the full screen applications go there (games).

When I don't need to use the Large LCD - I don't switch it on and just use the Small LCD. However, some dialogs and such still go to the Large LCD since it's Primary (but it's OFF!). Not a good situation..
So.. I learnt how to switch/swap monitors around with girder. I disable the Large LCD. Everything works just fine. Then, I enable the Large LCD and make it Primary again.

Here's the problem: after I do the above, all my icons and the taskbar move to the primary monitor i.e. the large LCD but I want them to be on the Small LCD!

Here's the question: I have an Nvidia video card and there's an option in nView Desktop Manager | Tools | Windows Utilities | Move to Display. This does exactly what I need - moves all icons and the taskbar to a specified monitor. But there's no shortcut for that..
Is there any way to move those desktop items easily?

Or maybe someone with a similar setup can suggest some other way to manage monitors for optimum behavior..

TIA!
--max

gappie

Re: Dual Monitor setup (again and again..)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:36 am »

i also have a dual/single setup though it works a bit different. i tried to do the switching with the nvidia stuff, but i found that very unstable and complex . so i leave that alone. i use now a combination of girder with ultramonitor. with ultra monitor you can switch monitors of and on and change primary monitor using command lines, so easy to get it to work with girder. dont know if it can do exactly what you want. but they have a full version you can try for 30 days. i found it worth every penny. www.ultramon.com

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

Thanks Gappie,
I do have ultramonitor. Yes, it's easy switch monitors with it. Which means it can even easier move the icons/taskbar to a wrong monitor. I need a way to move those back to the secondary monitor. Neither nView nor UltraMon have those options shortcutted.
Well, I am thinking about hiding icons/taskbar altogether (I have little apps to do just that) and use NetRemote as an application louncher instead of Windows UI. Might just work..

BTW, does anyone know of a good full screen app louncher (easily customizable).
Like this one (they are out of business?) - http://www.overnighttech.com/products/4amMC_overview.html

--max

i also have a dual/single setup though it works a bit different. i tried to do the switching with the nvidia stuff, but i found that very unstable and complex . so i leave that alone. i use now a combination of girder with ultramonitor. with ultra monitor you can switch monitors of and on and change primary monitor using command lines, so easy to get it to work with girder. dont know if it can do exactly what you want. but they have a full version you can try for 30 days. i found it worth every penny. www.ultramon.com

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 11:43:48 pm »

Hey gappie,
You were right - ultramon can do it via scripts.. found 3 different scripts on their site (one saves icon positions/monitor, one restores icon positions, one moves the taskbar) - combined them in one and it worked! Man.. I should've looked at their script page earlier.. It would be better though if nvidia had that button shortcutted..
Thanks for reminding me of ultramon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up