INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Naming Convention Standard Plugin... Interested?  (Read 2099 times)

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
Naming Convention Standard Plugin... Interested?
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:49 am »

This is a curiosity probe.  I have written a Plugin that standardizes library fields.  It runs completely from datafiles, so a simple editor (like Notepad) and you can change the conventions.  You can create conventions for any library field, and I have currently made files for the Artist, Name, Album, and Lyrics fields.  Here are some of the standardizations it performs:
Album - Any variation of "featuring" (f,f.,f/,feat.,w/, with etc) are converted to "featuring".  The word "The" is moved to the end after a comma. For example "Beatles, The" (I know this one is controversial).  I also replace "&" with "and" for uniformity's sake.  This alone allowed me to find the duplicates between "Kool & the gang" and "Kool and the gang"

Name - When certain words describing the track are within Parenthesis (), Brackets [], or Braces {} they are converted to Braces.  This ignores Subtiltles, leaving them within Parenthesis.  The convention is basically Title (Subtitle) {Descripter}.  For example, There It Go! (The Whistle Song) {PO Clean Edit}, where "There It Go!" is the Title, "The Whistle Song" is the Subtitle, and "PO Clean Edit" is the descriptor.

Album - Checks for Year appearing in a Parenthesis, Braces, Brackets, or after a dash, and removes it (can place it in the Year field if you wish). 

I ran it across my modest collection (6,000 songs) and it took about 20 seconds.  After it was done, all of my music was named properly, so that Calculated Fields could be used.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is anyone interested in this kind of Plugin?  If enough people use it, we could possibly enforce an unofficial standard in library fields, and possibly in filename conventions.  At the very least, your system will be easy to interpret.
2) What other "rules" should I incorporate to create a standard?  Anyone who wishes to can submit (possibly to me personnally rather than through the board) a list of criteria that should be established.
-Tano

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Naming Convention Standard Plugin... Interested?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 03:21:40 pm »

This sounds like a very useful plugin...

I'm interested in it, let me test it and make my suggestions after that

Martin

PS: providing a download link would be nice

mlefebvre

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:43:19 pm »

I'm also interested!  :)

Michel.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:23:04 am »

Interesting...
Over time, it sounds like it would be possible to produce a convention file to use for fixing punctuation... replace dont with don't for example?

I say over time because it sounds from your description that it's possible to add other examples as when they're happened upon?

I'm also interested.

-marko.

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My middle name is MEDIA
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 06:29:52 am »

I'm definitely in for that, I've been looking for a solution like this one.
When is this plugin will be available?

Kudos for your effort.
My Music collection runs 24/7; I threw away the Stop button.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 07:57:21 pm »

Sounds great, I'm up for it, especially if you add the ability for you own alias file...

... with different aliases for different fields....

Code: [Select]
//<TAB> delimited

[Trackname]
dont     don't
w/       with
feat.    featuring

[Artistname]
Mozart, W.A            Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Beethoven, L.V.        Beethoven, Ludwig van

[Album]
*, the      The *          <== Note the wildcard idea :)
dont        don't
w/          with

... just my idea for it ;)

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:48:28 am »

I tried dbPowerAmp Music Converter a couple of weeks ago. In the filenames, they replace the unauthorized question mark with an inverted question mark (¿). Could you please add that functionality ¿

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 07:50:40 am »

Well, thanks to all for their response.  I was going to abandon the project, but it seems like there is some interest. 
confishy: The plugin already does the replacements according to field.  Currently, it creates a file for every field you wish to standardize.  I'm toying with the idea of combining it all into an XML file. 

As for a download link, as of now I don't have one simply because I'm not ready to release it yet.  There's no editor for creating/fixing/editing the fields.  Once I have the Plugin Interface set so you can actually edit the fields, then I'll post a DL.  I also wanted to incorporate a criteria file with it, so that everyone could have a good starting point. 

I'll try to get something releasable in the next week or so, if anyone has any suggestions for the field replacements, just send them.  I hadn't thought about Title Contains "dont" ReplaceWith "don't".  So ideas along those lines work.  I also thought about doing title case (every word capitalized) but that might actually mess up some Titles/Artist, so I don't know. 

Finally, this plugin can either be run on demand, or it can run in the background, fixing new files as it comes across them.  Again, suggestions welcome.
-Tano
Thanks for the great input!

jnshankland

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 06:47:21 am »

Would this fix this problem?

Name                                    Artist
Long Tall Sally - Little Richard    Varied

to

Long Tall Sally                     Little Richard

Thanks

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up