INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FFDshow Post-Tryouts Beta 1 and MC12  (Read 1187 times)

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
FFDshow Post-Tryouts Beta 1 and MC12
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:10 am »

I'm wondering if a fellow MC 12 user that plays DVDs with MC12 and uses FFDshow might help me reproduce a nagging issue:

Basically, when I start the DVD playing in "Playing Now" and then jump to full screen, either by hitting ctrl+3 or double-clicking PN, MC crops the right side of the picture.  This also happens if I start the DVD in full screen mode, then right click for the menu, the dismiss the menu by click back on the display.  Weird.

I've been messing with this for a few days and I've been unable to reproduce this behavior in MPC or ZoomPlayer using the exact same FFDshow filter graph and of course, the same build of FFDshow from SVN.

I thought maybe it was my video setup (ATI IGP 9100 in a Shuttle Zen w/latest drivers), but I can't reproduce this behavior outside of MC12.

It happens whether I use VRM9 or Overlay.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: FFDshow Post-Tryouts Beta 1 and MC12
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:26:50 am »

Last I checked (which wasn't terribly long ago) FFDSHOW's DVD playback handling was not ready for prime time at all and suffered all kinds of problems...

I use the Gabest MPEG-2 decoder and filters for MPEG-2 playback (from the guliverkli project), so I can't help you on that specific problem.  Another good (free) option is DScaler, though that takes a tiny bit more configuration.

Not to say this particular odd bug isn't MC's "fault" but considering the status of FFDSHOWs DVD playback handling, I'd say there's little point to the J River developers investing a lot of time into fixing it...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:40:15 am »

What I've found when using the MPV decoder (included in CCCP) is a substantially degraded image compared with using FFDshow filters.  Alas, you can't add FFDshow filters to the graph of DVD playback if you've chosen the Dscaler decoder or the MPV decoder.

When using the Dscaler decoder, on my setup, CPU is pegged and DVD playback is unacceptable.  The later builds of FFDshow (CSLID ICL versions) run very well on my CPU, I've seen dramatic speed ups due to some recent optimizations, so that's why I'm so interested in continuing this direction.

All that said, I realize the nature of my predicament, but the only issues I've had with using just FFDshow for DVD playback (libmpeg2) is that when using Resize and Aspect, you lose the menu indicators as you move from choice to choice.  Other than that, it has been rock solid w/MC12 for me, other than this cropping issue that just popped up.

Yeah, so in the end, even though in your gut, you'd like to use MC for *everything*, it's not a big deal as I've still got MPC and VLC for DVD playback until I upgrade to a "real" video card.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:27:49 am »

Just an FFDshow update for those using it....

There is a new wiki started for FFDshow Reference and Configuration.  See it here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up