INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: since cccp is the recomended video decoder  (Read 1321 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
since cccp is the recomended video decoder
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:36:26 pm »

i think the integration of cccp in mc is a bit poor. some basic function dont work. for instance, when i have a movie with chapters i can not choose an other chapter other then go to a small icon (the haali splitter part from cccp) hidden under the movie and right click on it. for subtitles it is the same (and for external subtitles even worse), same when there are two sound tracks. also when a movie has chapters the button to get to the next chapter does not work.

discuss

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: since cccp is the recomended video decoder
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:19:06 pm »

While I understand your frustration, and share your dream, I believe what you are asking for is going to be rather difficult to achieve.

For starters, as you noted, CCCP is only a recommended codec pack. It is neither officially recommended (from anything I have seen), nor is it the only recommended (frequent references to to k-lite, among others) codec pack.

Secondly, these packs are just that.... Packages of several unrelated codecs, tools, and bits and pieces into a easily deliverable bundle. Generally speaking, there is no common access and control mechanism for most of these 'bits', and so MC would be required to handle communication with these 'bits' in a very manual way, if indeed, it is possible to control them via another process (such as MC).

Third, the contents of these packs is not stable (necessarily). It is possible to have the same pack deliver one MPEG-2 decoder as default in one release, only to change it to another, better one, in the next release. Without a common access and control mechanism, this becomes a management nightmare for 3rd party apps.

Lastly, while CCCP is a commonly used pack at the moment, it is not the only pack, and it may well go the way of the dodo as other codec packs have, forcing users to move on to new codec packs, as well as forcing 3rd party apps to change, once again, not a easy thing to do.

Now, if there was a standard way that codecs could be written to allow for external app control... THEN we might get somewhere!

Cheers,
C.

PS. Waiting for someone to come along and tell me I'm full of ... ignorance... and completely of the mark. But this is how I understand things at the moment.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 08:59:23 pm »

I think confishy hit the nail precisely on the head.  CCCP is, at the moment, probably your best playback option.  It is not, however, a "single piece" of software, but a mishmash of different pieces all written by different authors.  In fact, while it's open source, some of the pieces are written by one single author mostly alone.  Should that person die or give up (or get a job) or whatever, and stop updating their piece, they'll be forced to switch to a different piece.

Really, their only option would be to go the VLC route and build the playback functions into the player itself.  This is a much more integrated approach, but it is  far less flexible!  The way it is, you can choose to switch to different filters or plugins for different tasks.  If one isn't working for your particular needs or hardware, you can just switch to another one.  If new formats come out, you can get the benefits immediately and not have to wait for J River to dedicate valuable resources to updating and maintaining their own versions of the code (and they'd have to build it from scratch because they can't use the OSS code without getting in trouble since MC is a proprietary product).

What I'm not clear on is what problems specifically you're having accessing the features of CCCP.  Could you describe this in more detail?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:36:09 am »

glynor,
in theory we could have the best of both worlds it MC would support (so that users could choose what to use) both  DirectShow and VLC-like integrated playback functions written by jriver.

but in reality I don't think that jriver will ever develop those functions: they have playback functions (DirectShow) and they have outsourced (to M$) its development/improvement for free and for good, so why bother? I'd do the same!

What is really needed (if it doesn't exist yet, I know near to nothing about codedcs and all things multimedia related) it's some sort of standard APIs so that codecs\filters can be fully controlled by front end apps like MC. All functions that could need user interaction should be fully exposed, so that the front end app could provide its own interface to them.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 04:38:06 am »

glynor, this is my problem: now when i open the same file in for instance zoomplayer. i can turn of/on subtitles, also external, from the menu (and internal subs with a shortcut), and the next/previous chapter button works. as in mc i have to go to the small haali icon underneath the movie. ever tried that with a remote. the thing that bothers me the most is that i can not go through the chapters. when i hit the next chapter button it goes to the next movie. i really believe that mc can improve/win a lot on how it handles videos.

vine-au

• Junior Woodchuck
  • negative, I am a meat popsicle...
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:34 am »

surely some of the more basic functions of the Haali engine could be inegtrated into MC? It's used by both K-Lite & CCCP.
You can get subtitles to play correctly in MC if DirectVobSub is installed in the right way (the moon must be full and you need a live goat) but for the most part I play my foreign and manga movies with MediaPlayerClassic.
Quite frustrating, hopefully v13 will see us assuaged...
Pages: [1]   Go Up