INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 is consuming 100% CPU continuously - Please Help!  (Read 1930 times)

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 12 is consuming 100% CPU continuously - Please Help!
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:47:41 pm »

Greetings all,

I've got a major problem. I've been backing up my movie library in FLAC for the last several days with no issue at all until yesterday. Out of the blue MC12 has become virtually unusable. Just opening up the program jumps my CPU to 100%...without even doing anything. I've tried to see if there is an update for a potential bug patch but it says none are available...so I have the latest MC12.  I have not installed any new software or made any OS config changes since starting my backup process. Unfortunately the only way to shut down MC is to force it.

This issue is not temporary. As of right this moment, MC has been open (not playing anything) for 20 minutes and my CPU is still pegged at 100% usage.

RAM memory used by MC is not huge...only around 25K

Is there anything I can do to debug this problem?

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 12 is consuming 100% CPU continuously - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:51:47 pm »

It could be because MC12 may be rebuilding thumbnail database. I remember there was a recent change which forced MC12 to rebuild the entire thumbnail database. Leave it running for a while (maybe overnight) and then see if it still takes 100% on the next restart..

Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:57:29 pm »

I've been backing up my movie library in FLAC for the last several days with no issue at all until yesterday.

"backing up movie library in FLAC" ?  Do you mean audio library?

How the backup process is related?

Did you do something specific with MC when the problem started? Have you simply tried to reinstall MC?

Edit

I reread your question. Do you mean that you still have a heavy backup task going on and MC's behavior has changed from normal to using 100% of resources? Are you still going to run the backup process for a few days and because of that cannot reboot, reinstall, etc... ?

Edited again ...  :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:12:31 pm »

"backing up movie library in FLAC" Huh  Do you mean audio library?

Whoops...sorry about that...yes audio...not movies.

How the backup process is related?
I have no idea. Everything was fine until yesterday. I've only got at this point a couple hundred CDs backed up with several hundred to go.

Did you do something specific with MC when the problem started?
No. have not made any setting changes to MC since I started the backup process last week.

Did you change anything on your PC? MC options or plugins? Other programs? Hardware?
No changes made. The only other thing I have been doing while backing up is using PaintShop Pro to scan CD covers while the CDs were ripping up and then using the "Paste" feature for the thumbnails. After each "paste" I then selected "Submit to Internet" assuming that if I had to ever rebuild my library the cover art would now all be there.

Have you simply tried to reinstall MC?
No. Have not tried this. I assume this will mean having to rescan for music files and hopefully not loose my cover art in the process...so many CD's did not have cover art available.

It could be because MC12 may be rebuilding thumbnail database. I remember there was a recent change which forced MC12 to rebuild the entire thumbnail database. Leave it running for a while (maybe overnight) and then see if it still takes 100% on the next restart..

Hmm...this happens daily? This was a fresh install and fresh backup. I did not import anything from MC 11.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:24:48 pm »

So by backup you mean ripping audio CDs in FLAC format.

Unfortunately, I don't know why a simple ripping task would cause your problem.

You mentioned scanning. I wonder if the scanner interface has something to do with the problem. Also MC can accuire images from scanners.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:37:58 pm »

Alex,

Yes ripping. Well I may have found the solution. I had assumed when "Check for updates" was done, the latest MC12.0.207 would have been installed but this was not the case...I was still on 12.0.198. This is obviously a bug or something within MC12. At any rate, I downloaded from the forum that latest version, installed and CPU usagage is back to normal. Will keep tabs on this. I am curious

Thanks for everyone's reply and sorry to bother you all.

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:30:36 pm »

As MC12 is still in beta, the auto update doesn't work, you have to go to the MC12 board to get the latest public updates. This is not a bug, it's just the way it is. The auto update still works for MC11 if you have an older version than 11.201.

Once MC12 is "released", then the auto update will work for MC12 as updates are posted.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:33:51 pm »

As MC12 is still in beta

There Is No "Beta" Attached Or Programmed In To The Current Version Of Media Center In The Download Area.

Once MC12 is "released"

Beta Was Removed Long Ago.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:36:26 pm »

Yeah, well what do you want to call it, King? It's not officially released either, is it? And we still have a beta board don't we? ;)
Jay.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:41:15 pm »

Yeah, well what do you want to call it, King? It's not officially released either, is it? And we still have a beta board don't we? ;)

If i am not mistaken this question was asked and answered by Jim stating it was released (maybe not much fanfare as in the past).

there is a beta forum for beta versions of the released MC 12 product, not released for public consumption. Until such a time JRiver feels it is stable.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:44:43 pm »

O.K. I stand corrected. :)

But the auto update still isn't working right. ;)
Jay.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 07:12:59 pm »

I beleave the CPU consumption could be many things

Size of library, CPU, Memory, Background Processes like MC Auto Import etc...

turning off auto import may help.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up