INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sansa e series and other non ipod players  (Read 1741 times)

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
sansa e series and other non ipod players
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:21:26 pm »

I'd like to buy a sansa e280. However I'm not sure whether track ratings, play count and last played can be synched with MC.

Anyone know?

Also does sansa display cover art for tracks where its stored within tags?

TheLongshot

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: sansa e series and other non ipod players
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:54:40 pm »

I'd like to buy a sansa e280. However I'm not sure whether track ratings, play count and last played can be synched with MC.

No, it cannot currently.

Also does sansa display cover art for tracks where its stored within tags?

I have been told that it should.  I don't do that with my Sansa.

Jason

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:39:43 pm »

The cover art works very well.  You do have to make sure that the files actually have stored the cover art in the files (which usually happens if you have that option set, but not always in certain circumstances).

My wife loves her e270 enthusiastically (I got it for her for Christmas).  It's really very nice.  My only complaints about it are that the Photo and Video functionality is somewhat crippled because you have to "format" the pictures and videos for the Sansa using a proprietary SanDisk application.  This is easy and quick, but it's pretty annoying and limiting, and you can't transfer the files directly via MC (or any other media player application -- this isn't a JRiver limitation).  That means essentially we just don't use those functions, which is unfortunate (the photo playback would be nice to be able to use).

I'm still lusting after one of these myself...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmmttu77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:05:25 pm »

I just picked up the e280R a couple of weeks ago.  It syncs to JRiver well, just make sure you have it in "Plays for Sure" mode.  I had it in Rhapsody mode at first and it took me a while to figure that out.

As for album art, my luck was not good.  My files are mostly wma.  I have the art embedded in the file and I also have the folder.jpg in each album folder.  I could not consistently get album art to work on the player. 

I am impressed with the battery life of the player and I like the file organization and the scroll wheel.  The volume cranks up really loud if you need it, no wussy volume here.  My complaints are two:  (1) the scroll wheel light is blindingly bright, and (2) there is some processing background noise (beeps, hums, whirs, stuff like that).  I usually notice this when I change a song or the next song begins.  I dont have experience with Ipods, so I wonder if they do this as well....

When I bought the player I did not have the intention of using its Rhapsody features, but I decided to give the free three month trial a try....why not, right?  So far, I am liking Rhapsody and could see myself getting hooked.  I guess I will see in three months whether I like it enought to continue paying.  In the meantime, the downside is that I haven't been using my beloved JRiver Media Center as much......

jmmttu77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:34 pm »

Oh...you also asked about ratings, plays counts, etc.  I have not used this in JRiver, so I can't be of help here, sorry.  I know the ratings work with Rhapsody well. 

Also, to clarify about the album art....I could not get it to consistenly work with JRiver, but when using Rhapsody album art works 99% of the time.  Of course when using Rhapsody, I am using the rented music files downloaded directly from their service.

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:10:38 am »

Thanks for the comments guys.

The sansa sounds like a decent player, and cheaper than an ipod nano. In the UK we can get the 8gb sansa for the same as the 4gb ipod nano.  I would have gone for it if i could get play count and ratings synched with MC.

But since that's important to me I think i'll go with the nano.

Thanks again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up