INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing data between different users  (Read 981 times)

rsbrux

• Recent member
Sharing data between different users
« on: April 14, 2007, 01:40:20 pm »

Several threads here refer to a shared database, but I have searched through this forum, the Wiki and the online help without finding a way to share data.
What I have is: Windows XP MCE RU2 with MC 12 (latest version)
If I login under a different account, I have to repeat the complete configuration.  In particular the import of media files and scanning for TV channels are time-consuming.
What I would like is: to have all settings, but especially the DB for media data and TV stations to be shared among all users.
How can I do this?
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sharing data between different users
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:08:17 pm »

Check in the Third Party Plugins forum for my Settings Saving Script.  If you set this to run the "load savings" script on login and "save settings" on logout (for all the users on the system) you can automate this process and still be able to change settings from within any user account.  If you have a specific user account that you want to prevent from being able to save persistent settings, simply don't have that user account run the "save settings" script.  This will allow them to change settings as they wish inside MC, but when they logout and login again it'll replace any changes they made with the original settings.

I should note... You apply login/logout scripts through the Group Policy Editor in Windows XP Pro.  I don't think you can do it with XP Home (and I don't know the deal with all the various versions of Vista at all).  If you're running Home, the best you can do is get it all set manually how you want, and then run the Save Settings script.  Then, add the Load Settings script to the Startup folder of of your Start Menu (either your own or All Users depending on what you want).

EDIT: I didn't realize it before when I wrote the above, but I never actually built a Load Settings companion script (since you can just double-click on the REG file to load it manually).  I'll try to get to this when I get back from my conference.  If you know anything about the Windows Scripting Host you might be able to figure it out yourself (it's pretty easy).  I have one of these setups myself at home, but I used old BAT files (which are less elegant and popup a black command window briefly when they run).  I've never gotten around to fixing it...   ::)  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rsbrux

• Recent member
Re: Sharing data between different users
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:18:38 pm »

Glynor,
Thanks for your response, and especially for your script. ;D
I hacked out a restore script which seems to work, and made a few changes to your save script as well, so that they will both access a common location for the saved .reg files.
I'll try to figure out how to upload the results of my efforts to the Third Party Plugins section.
FSC Scaleo E upgraded w/Intel DH67BLB3 & Core i3 - 2100 3.1 GHz CPU
DigitalDevices DuoFlex CT & Octopus single CI
Pages: [1]   Go Up