INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 Idea  (Read 1047 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
MC13 Idea
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:40:58 pm »

As there is no where else to put this ATM, I'll post it here...

The Problem.
With MC12 we can't define our own media type. (We CAN create a custom field that can act in this guise.)
We cant define default fields for our own custom field.

The request.

Allow us to Define our own media type.
Allow us to Default Fields for those media types (akin to the presets we currently have)
Allow us to Define Default PANE Schemes for those media types (Override-able at any point)
Allow us to Define Default VIEW Schemes for those media types (Override-able at any point)

Example 1:
MediaType = Classical (can be either audio, or video)
Default Fields = Name, Period, Composer, Artist, Orchestra/Group, Genre, Style, Instruments, ....
Default View = Name, Composer, Artist, Orchestra, Genre

Example 2:
MediaType = TV Series
Default Fields = Series, Season, Episode, Name, Date, Studio, Rating, Genre, ...
Default View = Genre, Series, Season, Episode, Name

Advantages:
It is possible to set up a View Scheme for All Media that will auto-adjust itself for the MediaType Selected
  (so If I have a View Scheme dominated by Genre then MediaType, when I click on "SciFi" then "TV Series" the panes and view scheme automatically adjust to the specified fields)

It is possible to have a tag window that is pre-tailored to a specific media.

There was more, but I've forgotten  :-[

C.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC13 Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »

You can do this with MC 12.

Create a field like "Confishy Media Type."  Put the values you described in there.

Then setup view schemes around Classical, TV Series, etc.  Use the view scheme's search to filter to certain values.

Customize the columns for each view scheme.

In the Tag window, pick "Show Tags In Current View"

I think this allows everything you are asking for using MC 12.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:17:09 pm »

I'll just add to this while I'm on it...

Another request would be to introduce groups of files as objects. There are 2 levels to this (at 1st thoughts)..

• Treat an individual media file and it's associated files as an object
  • Treat a group of media files, and any associated files, as an object (eg an Album, lots of request for this I believe)

I wont go in to the latter, as I'm pretty sure its been raised and thought through before.

"Treat an individual media file and it's associated files as an object"
What I'm getting at here is the ability to associate a score (for example) to a particular file, and have the files stay together and be treated as an individual unit from within MC.

Combining the 2 Ideas, It may even be possible to have "Classical" and "Score" as media types, and then also attach the "Score" media type to the "Classical" media type as a "field"-type-thingy

C.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:18:53 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I will get on and have a look.

The idea was to just make it more centrally managed, but I will investigate your suggestion before concluding.

C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up