INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag updating really slow  (Read 2050 times)

gvag

Tag updating really slow
« on: August 25, 2002, 10:20:52 pm »

As I mentioned in another post I've been having trouble with the Burner when trying to archive to Data CDs.  As part of the archiving process I've been changing the custom2 field to "Data CDxxx" for every group of files I've burned.  

The time required to update the tags is anywhere from slow to excruciatingly slow.  Eg 144 files, approx. 650MB took 4 mins 50 sec.  Thing of it is, its not consistent.  But 2 to 5 minutes seems to be the range.

No other programs running and going from a reeboot straight into MJ.

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.336
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 998 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 172 MB
Resource Info: System - 62 %, GDI - 76 %, User - 62 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

yughi

• Recent member
RE:Tag updating really slow
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 04:36:25 am »

On my computer it's slow to!

It's just that Media Juke Box probably checks the files before saving. Ya know that mp3-tags are saved IN mp3's. Changing files without corrupting it isn't the easiest thing to do in life!
---
Reality is, eating icecream in the sahara!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 04:38:30 am »

turn off ID3v2 tags turn on id3v1.1 tags, remove the id3v2 tags that are in the files, it will be faster after that.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 05:42:53 am »

I have noticed this too, but it's really intermittent on my system.  My working hypothesis is that MJ is slow updating some MP3s, and the distinguishing factor is something about the existing tags.

When you come across a MP3 file that MJ updates slowly, trying bring it up in properties, then clicking 'Remove Tags'.  Save the file (the database will still hold the tags for you.  Then re-open the file in properties, and change the combo-box to 'Update All Files', then re-save.  Does this speed up tag updating for that file?

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 05:45:53 am »

My understanding is that if you have enabled v2 tagging that MJ will add these tags to those files that don't already contain then. Since v2 tags are at the start of the file the file sometimes has to be rewritten in order to change the tags.
Namaste,
John

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 07:43:59 am »

My understanding is that if you have enabled v2 tagging that MJ will add these tags to those files that don't already contain then. Since v2 tags are at the start of the file the file sometimes has to be rewritten in order to change the tags.

Right, I have often seen this put forward as the cause of slow tag updating.  On my system (1.3Ghz Athlon, 512 meg, generally fast), though, when a file is slow to update tags, it can take 30|PLS| seconds, whereas just re-writing a v2 tag takes less than 10 seconds.

I'm certain that this is more than the whole file being written out.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 08:27:43 am »

I had not, but wouldn't be remotely surprised if the issue was a Windows or a tag error that MJ code can't easily identify.

My machine is running Win2k, and I haven't seen the problem since upgrading to SP3, although removing and replacing all tags seemed to ameliorate the problem as well.

gvag

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2002, 01:05:56 pm »

Thanks all for the replies.  I was aware of the difference between v1 and v2 tags and how they are stored.

If there is no practical impact on the information that I can store vis a vis MJ's DB then I have no problem with disabling v2 tagging.  If soneone else could confirm this I'll diable v2 tagging.

Also, would I be correct in assuming that after disabling v2 tagging I should backup my library and do a full full rebuild to clean out the v2 tag info.

Take care

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up