INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving media offline - is there a better way?  (Read 1251 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
moving media offline - is there a better way?
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:37:22 pm »

I occasionally want to free up space on my hard drive by moving media files to a dvd-r disc.

The method I currently use is:
1) Burn files to dvd-r.
2) Delete files from hard drive and MC library.
3) Reimport files into MC from the dvd-r disc.

The problem with this approach is that I have to re-enter the tags for those media types that do not store tags internally.

Is there a way to tell MC that I have moved a file from my hard drive to a dvd-r disc, without having to re-import?

Thanks in advance for your help.

rjm

Re: moving media offline - is there a better way?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:48:02 am »

bump

I was hoping one of the gurus on this forum might be able to help with this.

Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 04:59:10 am »

OK, the problem here is that it's not an exact science. Perhaps you can glean a few pointers from some the following ramble...

Have a look at this view scheme I detailed away back for version 11.1 and see if it makes sense to you. I still give this view scheme a tweak now and again, and it now has the following expression based pane:

which is derived from the following expression:
if(isequal([keywords],vinyl,8),Vinyl,
   if(isequal([archive],retail,8),
     if(isequal([archive],backup,8),Retail/, Backed Up,
   if(isequal([archive],ripped,8),Retail/, No Backup,Not Ripped)),
if(isequal([file type],flac),
   if(isequal([archive],backup,8),Downloaded/, Lossless/, Backed Up,
            Downloaded/, Lossless/, No Backup),
if(isequal([file type],ape),
if(isequal([file type],apl),
if(isequal([archive],lossless,8),Downloaded/, Lossless/, Backed Up,
if(isequal([archive],backup,8),Downloaded/, Lossy/, Backed Up,
         if(isequal([media type],image,1),Artwork,
         Downloaded/, Lossy/, No Backup)))))))
It's still got a couple of kinks that need ironed out, but overall, it gives me a shedload of useful information in just a few mouse clicks.

Now, the limitation here is that MC does not ship the database info offline along with the files, so, you need to get your most pertinent information stored in file tags, which is OK as long as your media files can accomodate the metadata. No luck if you're backing up a load of .tif image files for example. Once you bring up your cd/dvd database viewscheme however, you're free to tag the offline files any way you desire, and the tags will be retained, albeit in the database only (obviously).

Earlier on in the beta cycle, I began experimenting with burning my picture files to DVD and using a similar viewscheme to the one linked above to keep me up to speed with what was where... (tif files needed to be re-tagged as MC does not save any metadata in these files, despite the anacronym that gives them their filetype name)

As you begin to see some of the options open to you, you can snip and idea from here, tweak another from there, and finish up with a custom view scheme setup that fits your needs.
I strongly recommend that you try setting up the cd database view scheme as I think you will find it to be quite helpful to you. Remember that MC just needs to 'see' the disc and it will be imported to the offline database.
If you have any more specific questions then just fire away.

-marko.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:11:12 pm »

marko, thanks kindly for your thoughtful response.

I am familiar with the cd/dvd database and think I understood how it works. Not sure why it is needed, but that is a different thread.

I agree all files from my optical discs are in this cd/dvd database, however, only those files that I explicitly import from optical discs are in my main database. 

When I play one of these offline files it correctly prompts me to insert the disc.

I can tell which files are online and which files are offline by looking at the filename in the main database. Offline files use the volume name as their drive/path.

I also find the Disk Location view useful because I can immediatley tell which files are offline and what volume name I assigned to the disc.

The main database must have a way of telling whether a file is online or offline. I would like a way to switch this state, without reimporting, and thus not have to re-enter my tag data for those file types that do not store tag data internally.

Could it be as simple as changing the drive/path to the volume name? And if so, how would I do this?

rjm

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 01:32:30 pm »

I wish there was an easier way to move media offline. Would appreciate it if JRiver would consider adding a feature to address this. I suspect there are many ways to implement this. A simple solution might be to make it possible to edit the drive/path field and replace it with a volume name.

Regards, Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up