INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Summary  (Read 1095 times)

Satirical

Import Summary
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:24:09 pm »

Hey, I've been using Media Center for a few wekks and it's great- much preferred to Windows Media Player, but with one big concern.

In the import summary 77 files won't import. This is growing, and the files can be ones I just accumulated as well. When I trace back, the actual files are being corrupted, showing no info or opening with any program. They won't send, or delete either (unless I delete the whole folder.) They played fine with windows media plyer a few weeks ago, and especially if they're new, should play.

I have no idea whats happening, but I think it is media center as it didn't start until then. Some of the files are months or years old, and played fine a few weeks ago.

Unless this is a virus, of which I don't think it is and certainly hope not.

Thanks... Angela.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Import Summary
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:11:44 pm »

I have seen this before, and that is why I make sure I have a good backup of my music collection. Files just stop working, and there is little rhyme or reason to it (often they are files that I haven't played in ages that suddenly show as an error.)

Satirical

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:10:50 pm »

Really. Ouch, thats not good. It's the first time I've come across this notion at all. About a third or so of the files are new though, which is why I don't understand. It was within no more than an hour that it happened to them.

I don't have enough space to make a back up unfortunately. At least of the whole collection, definitely. I'll just have to hope it doesn't happen to anymore files...

Thanks, Angela

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »

This could be a hard disk going bad.

tinear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:13:04 pm »

Hi,
You might want to back up as many files as you can on CDs, rather than take a chance on it not happening again!
Fred

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 04:43:13 am »

In the import summary 77 files won't import. This is growing, and the files can be ones I just accumulated as well.

When I trace back, the actual files are being corrupted, showing no info or opening with any program. They won't send, or delete either (unless I delete the whole folder.) They played fine with windows media plyer a few weeks ago, and especially if they're new, should play.
This may be the result of filepath+filename getting larger than 255 chars, a windows filesytem limit.

Do these files have very long directory names+filenames ?
the combination of these 2 can't exceed 255 characters

Might explain why they won't import either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up