INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mediacenter tries to tag WAV files (?)  (Read 933 times)

frankieboy

Mediacenter tries to tag WAV files (?)
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:51:52 am »

Hi all ,
I have the impression that MC12 are trying to tag my files, even when they are lossless wav files. Is this an expected behaviour ?
I noticed that it took a VERY long time , when i did an update of my Library , importing new files , and corrected the Tag Info (I was expecting MC12 not to bother with the files, and only update the fields in the library)

..or , am i missing something ?

WIN XP Pro / MC12 Latest

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Mediacenter tries to tag WAV files (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:09:35 am »

Hi all,
I have the impression that MC12 are trying to tag my files, even when they are lossless wav files. Is this an expected behaviour?
I noticed that it took a VERY long time , when i did an update of my Library, importing new files, and corrected the Tag Info (I was expecting MC12 not to bother with the files, and only update the fields in the library)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

MC12 does not try to apply physical tags to wave files. You are experiencing something else.

Perhaps you had the "update for external changes" and "fix broken links" import options enabled (If you used the import tool). These options force MC to check each and every library file on import. It doesn't matter if the file type is taggable or not. Also, the build "thumbnails" option can affect the import speed in case the file folders have cover art images.

..or , am i missing something ?

At least your post is missing detailed information. Please try to provide step-by-step instructions for reproducing the problem.

For example: how did you try to "update" the library, what exact settings you used, file locations, file size and amount, how did you create the files and what is the wave format? (is it 44.1 kHz/16-bit/stereo?), etc.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

frankieboy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:09:07 am »

ok , i stand corrected  :)
I'll learn on the way , hopefully..

Perhaps you had the "update for external changes" and "fix broken links" import options enabled (If you used the import tool)
Yes , you are right, that was the case - when importing the files , these was ticked.

Also, the build "thumbnails" option can affect the import speed in case the file folders have cover art images
This was not ticked.

A more detailed description of what i did :
I have my files ripped , by MC12 , to a folder on a NAS ("S:\") , and organised the files as : "\Artist\Album\Track No# - Title"
Encoder setting : Uncompressed Wave , Options : "Delete Temprary wave files when encoding is done"
Track Images Location : "Next to file (Folder.jpg)"
Output File Location :
        Base Path: "S:\"
        Directory rule  : [Artist]\[Album]
        Filename Rule : [Track #] - [Name]

I did ripping of abt 50 CD's - and the files were made as expected.
(filesizes of 20 - 45 mb each)
After ripping , could list all my files in the "Audio" selection in MC . Sorting by filenames - i could select / show the files of interest.
I updated the library using the function "Fill Tagvalues from Filenames" , and i got the correct Tagvalues , handling abt 15-20 files at a time. This process were very slowly.. and is the part i don't really understand (why this would take that long..)

As a matter curiosity , i tried to do the same update - when i had my computer disconnected from my network , (..and no access to the wav files) .
The update now run a lot faster.. After such update , it did come up with the warning , that the files were not found...

If MC12 are using the setting for importing files - during tag changes , then i can understand it take some time to check for every file. I will try do the same thing , but without the selection for "update for external changes" and "fix broken links" enabled.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:32:06 am »

Now I understand better. AFAIK, the import options I mentioned should not affect the "Fill Properties From Filename" tool speed.

Possibly MC tries to access the files somehow even the wav format cannot hold tags. Most MC users use compressed formats (lossy or lossless) instead of wav so the wav behavior has not been tested extensively.

As a test, you could try to disable also the following options if enabled:
Tools > Auto-Import Options > Options > Run auto-import in background
Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

frankieboy

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:09:50 pm »

Hi ,
thanx for the input .
I tried
Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes
When enabled , the tagging process was at crawl (when saving the tag changes) , when disabled - it was allmost instant.
Ok then , so this is probably an exspected behaviour for most file types , When acessing the wav files - it does struggle to find any tags , and speed slows down -  could that be it ?
Anyway - i'll have this option unchecked.. and its working as a charm. Thanx
Pages: [1]   Go Up