INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning to Media Jukebox  (Read 1445 times)

SpiritualAnarchist

• nothing more to say...
Returning to Media Jukebox
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:17:14 pm »

Hi, I've searched on FAQs and via the search facility, I can't find this so I've started a thread...

I'd like to go back to Media Jukebox please. I went for the 30 days trial of Media Center when a dialog box popped up and offered me it, to see what it was like, but I prefer MJ, so I want to go back to it.

But it seems I cannot simply do that. It is not an option presented in the MC flash screen dialog box (besides Purchase, Restore and Cancel); I tried Restore but it seems I have just wasted one of my 10 for this year because it didn't work to bring MJ back. MJ is mostly where it was in Program Files, but upon trying to start it it crashes with some error messages. It's done that all thru MC's 30-day trial period. I assumed this was temporarily disabling and I would be given the option to go back to it once the trial was over but it seems not.

What am I supposed to do, uninstall it and reinstall it? And uninstall MC? The thing is I don't want to lose the library, it's got a lot of important data in it. I had to reimport everything when the trial MC installed, I thought it would copy the info from the old MJ library. Will I have to do a new 'restore' upon reinstalling MJ? Might I even be able to reinstall it without uninstalling the disabled version that's there now (might protect the library)?

Hoping for help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Returning to Media Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:03:01 pm »

Uninstall MC12.

If you still have MJ8, just run it.

If not, install MJ8.  It should find your MJ8 license.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:40:17 pm »

The thing is I don't want to lose the library

You can't Go Backwards, The MC Database Is Not Compatable With MJ8.

If You Made A backup of the Database You Can

If You Did Not Make A Backup You Must Re-Import The Media Files With MJ8

there May be A backup Somplace In \J River\Media Jukebox\
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:24:08 am »

I cannot believe how common it is for people to like older versions of stuff.  Take Windows Classic.  There are a few people who absolutely have to have classic and don't want the XP interface.  I really see so little speed improvement that I like the slightly enhanced interface.  With MC, I feel like the best features were introduced or upgraded in 12 from 11 and would NEVER want to revert to an older version!!!

sheesh people

icepenguin66

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:23:08 am »

I cannot believe how common it is for people to like older versions of stuff.  Take Windows Classic.  There are a few people who absolutely have to have classic and don't want the XP interface.  I really see so little speed improvement that I like the slightly enhanced interface.  With MC, I feel like the best features were introduced or upgraded in 12 from 11 and would NEVER want to revert to an older version!!!

sheesh people

Probably because we don't want to go through the weeks of trying to recreate our huge playlists that were not integrated into MC.  At least they didn't copy into MC when I made the mistake of clicking on the update, or did I miss something?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:05:11 am »

Probably because we don't want to go through the weeks of trying to recreate our huge playlists that were not integrated into MC.  At least they didn't copy into MC when I made the mistake of clicking on the update, or did I miss something?

For some reason JRiver decided to remove the MJ8 library conversion from MC12 a few months ago (build 12.0.112). Even before that the conversion was not automatic and if the user uninstalled MJ8 without creating a library backup file and manually backing up the cover art files these were possibly lost if they were stored in the default locations under the MJ8 program directory.

In this post I explained a workaround (an MJ8 library backup file is needed):

... From the change log:

"12.0.112 (11/13/06)
2. Changed: Removed Media Jukebox 8 library upgrader. (it's best to reimport when coming from MJ)"

However, you can install MC11.1, restore your MJ8 library backup file on MC11.1 and create a new backup file. An MC11.1 library backup file can be restored on MC12. After that you can uninstall MC11.1 with its uninstaller or keep it if preferred. An MC12 registration is valid also for the last MC11.1 build and both versions can co-exist without problems (if not used simultaneusly for handling the same media files).

MC11.1: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/old/MC111201.exe

JRiver, perhaps you could warn about this incompatibility if you offer MC12 upgrade to MJ8 users. As we all know, an MJ/MC library contains a lot of data that is not saved to the tags.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:28:18 am »

For some reason JRiver decided to remove the MJ8 library conversion from MC12 a few months ago (build 12.0.112).

maybe because they will cut support for MJ8 soon

I think MJ8 was released in 2002, with one final update a year later in 2003 that only addressed a DRM issue.

so 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 5 years, time to cut the strings
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up