INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Cover Art Images  (Read 1384 times)

pierre.goyette

• Recent member
Managing Cover Art Images
« on: March 29, 2007, 08:28:41 pm »

Is there a tool or feature in MC12 to store each album covert art image in the folder where the music file is contained?

That way, in the future, I know I always have the JPGs for every album safe with the MP3s.

TIA

Pierre

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Managing Cover Art Images
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:57:33 pm »

Is there a tool or feature in MC12 to store each album covert art image in the folder where the music file is contained?

That way, in the future, I know I always have the JPGs for every album safe with the MP3s.

TIA

Pierre

MC actually offers several options in this regard.  The settings are in Tools>Options>File Location -- the "Track Images Location" section is the one you're looking for.

You can have the images saved in a specific folder of your choice (which I personally prefer), OR you can have them saved in the folder with the songs.  If you save them next to the songs, the image can be named based on the folder name, OR as "[Artist] - [Album].jpg."

On top of this, you can check "Store images in tags also."  This will continue to save the art as a separate file as defined by the settings above, but it will ALSO save the art in the file itself if the file supports this (mp3s DO support this.)  This is of course the "safest" option since the art is contained within the mp3 file, where it can never be lost.

Larry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:05:15 pm »

Pierre,

I agree with Larry's suggestions.  That's the same way I have mine setup and it works very well.

I keep all of the .jpg files in a separate folder.  I think this is much easier to manage than having them in the same folder as the mp3 files.  I also have all of my cover art stored in the tags also, which embeds them within the mp3 file.  Not only is this double safe, but you can move the mp3 files around, to other PCs as an example, and the cover art is included in the mp3 file.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:24:47 am »

Just to add another note to this, one reason I prefer to keep the image files in their own folder instead of in the folders next to the songs is because when you do an operation that moves the songs to another folder, the image file won't necessarily move with them.  You'll have to remember to manually move the image file as well.  By keeping all the image files in their own separate folder, this is not an issue.

Once again, as Randy reiterated above, it's a VERY good idea to have the images stored in the mp3 files.

Larry

pierre.goyette

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 06:18:26 am »

Folks,

This is all great. Now, what do I do with my current files?  Will simply changing the option in MC copy the art to those locations and store it in the MP3 files? Or is this only for new media that I copy in? Is there something to get MC to update all my existing media?

Thanks,

Pierre

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:29:36 am »

Folks,

This is all great. Now, what do I do with my current files?  Will simply changing the option in MC copy the art to those locations and store it in the MP3 files? Or is this only for new media that I copy in? Is there something to get MC to update all my existing media?

Thanks,

Pierre

I "think" (somebody else please confirm this) that once you check the setting to include art in the file, doing an "update file from tags" will place the art inside the file.  You might want to try it on a few files individually or on a small group of files in order to make sure it's working as expected.  Note that you can check if the album art is inside the file by checking the "Image File" tag in the Action Window's "Tag Window."  If it's inside the file, this field will say "Inside File."

What I'm not sure about is if the "Update from tags" process will ALSO copy the separate art file to a different location on your drive.  You "may" have to copy the art to the correct locations manually.  Note that if this is the case, however, it doesn't mean you have to do it one file at a time.  If you import all the art into the MC library, you can bring up a list of all the art files, then do either a "move" operation or perhaps a "Rename file from properties" process in order to change the location of these files.

Larry

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 08:04:14 pm »

One weird little thing is that the image file field seems to randomly say "Inside file" or the path to the image. I've been updating some art by copying files on the web and pasting into the file -- same process for each album -- but MC is inconsistent in how it display the image file property.

I wonder if it means for some reason the image isn't being stored inside the file if it doesn't say so? I can confirm that when it does say "inside file" the image file is also in the art directory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up