INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped DVD playback a no go  (Read 1358 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Ripped DVD playback a no go
« on: September 28, 2007, 04:26:59 pm »

Hey everyone.

I've got a decent computer (specs below) but it will not play back my DVD rips without skipping. Even one skip is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned and sometimes the video hangs for 30 seconds or more while the audio plays on.

Intel Core 2 E6400 2.13 GHz
1 GB DDR2 RAM
7200 RPM Hard Drives
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2

I'm using JR Media Center 12 as my HTPC software for playback (corss-posting this to their forums). The DVD movies were ripped and encoded using Handbrake 2.4 x.264. I assign video bitrate to about 1400kbps.

The hardware argument really doesn't add up because I can play the dvd completely uncompressed directly off the dvd drive in either windows media player or JR Media Center and playback is flawless. The .m4v file would not play in Windows Media Player so I can't yet test that.

This leads me to believe it is probably an encoding problem. However, that doesn't completely add up either. The skips are in different places each time I play the movie which tells me the entire audio track and all the frames are there, it just won't play it back correctly. It's really strange. Then there are some places where it tends to mess up every time.

I'm going to try to re-rip/encode and see if I get better results but I'd love to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Also, I'm not opposed to adding more RAM or a video card. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money and I certainly don't want to spend the money if it isn't even going to fix my problem.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ripped DVD playback a no go
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:31:49 pm »

It's probably just the DirectShow filters that are being used.  Try reading in the FAQ here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=10029.0 the posts from glynor near the bottom.  Also in the wiki.  Link is in his signature.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 05:38:55 pm »

It's probably just the DirectShow filters that are being used.  Try reading in the FAQ here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=10029.0 the posts from glynor near the bottom.  Also in the wiki.  Link is in his signature.

thanks a lot. i'm doing a total video codec rebuild by uninstalling my old ones and just using the CCCP and se how that works. im in the process of ding the cccpi right now.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:24:40 pm »

Let me know how it goes.  If you get it working, please write exactly what you did to get DVD playback going.  I always end up installing a commercial codec because I can't get the free ones working--but would greatly prefer the less intrusive, stripped down codec.  It has to support digital audio, though, such as 5.1 -- I'm assuming it does.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 12:40:23 am »

Are you playing back from a dvd-r you burned? If yes, do you burn with a full read back verification? If no, you should always. I find that even with the best blank media and drives, I still get 1 in 15 burn failures. With poor quality media I get about 1 in 5 failures.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:00:10 am »

Let me know how it goes.  If you get it working, please write exactly what you did to get DVD playback going.  I always end up installing a commercial codec because I can't get the free ones working--but would greatly prefer the less intrusive, stripped down codec.  It has to support digital audio, though, such as 5.1 -- I'm assuming it does.

i am still working on it. i've got a weird problem when i play back an avi file it say si don't have the correct real audio codec installed (but it plays in windows media player, and ive installed realalternative)

Are you playing back from a dvd-r you burned? If yes, do you burn with a full read back verification? If no, you should always. I find that even with the best blank media and drives, I still get 1 in 15 burn failures. With poor quality media I get about 1 in 5 failures.

no i ripped the dvd from my purchased collection on to my hard drive and am playing the m4v (h.264) files from the hard drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up