INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Ratings  (Read 1661 times)

jbholtz

• Recent member
Multiple Ratings
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:01:05 pm »

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

My wife and I have vastly different musical tastes and so a 5 for me could be a 1 for her.  We can both have a log in on our computer and use different libraries for our MC music collection, but is there a way to store the Rating in the Library instead of the file?  Or does anyone else have a better way to do this?  Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple Ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:07:05 pm »

does anyone else have a better way to do this?

Buy her a computer, it is easyer
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

robydago

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:30:16 pm »

if storing ratings in the library is ok for you, in MC you can create two different rating fields: one for you and one for your wife

ogurgey

• Recent member
  • The storyteller
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:53 pm »

The good thing with two rating fields is, that you can combine them to generate new playlists like, "I like, She hates", "Both like" etc.

I have a "MyRating" field, ranging from 1 to 10 because, 5 stars aren't always good enough to differentiate the songs.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 06:57:23 pm »

I use a Person's Rating field with display of the first letter, such as B for Ben's Rating.  This allows it to show very small.  The issue is that you can't use stars, but only an integer.  I created the new fields with integer values of 1;2;3;4;5.  It's annoying to have to set them by typing so I can hope for the ability to make any field use stars.

To make it amazing but complex, don't store rating in the files.  Instead, users can quickly rate songs and then I have a special playlist that shows songs where the Rating != Ben's Rating.  Then, I can quickly update a list of songs by modifying the Ben's Rating field (or vice versa).  The neat thing about this is that another user can rate a song for you through the Ben's Rating field but when you are updating songs, you don't have to follow the field.  This is a validation step.  Then, make sure to create playlists from Rating but be sure to update your ratings often or you'll get annoyed that ratings aren't showing up on your other accounts.

Then, with this method, you can easily create playlists that pull ratings from any users, and there isn't really a limit to the number of users you can have... A's Rating, B's Rating, C's Rating, etc!

Works GREAT.

Chad

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:49 pm »

Just to check that I am not doing this the hard way...

I want to have a pair of booleans for whether I can tolerate a song, and whether my wife can tolerate a song.  So I can make 3 playlists, Songs We Like, Songs She Likes, Songs I Like.

But the only way I can do this is to make 2 custom fields as String or Integer or whatever, and to edit those per file, I have to:

1) Click on the track.
2) Hit F2.
3) Type OK or Y or 1 or whatever the field is supposed to hold
4) Hit enter.

Repeat for 300 tracks until I get tired, then pass the laptop to my wife to have her fill out 300 fields.

Is there no way to set this with a checkbox or even to enter the data in blocks?  For instance I see a whole album I like, but have to hit "OK" for EACH track individually?  Seems tedious.

Would be really nice if checkboxes, sliders, and other MFC type UI elements could be used for the entries.  Would love if the "Album Gain" had sliders, too.

- Chad

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 03:16:04 pm »

Here's an idea and can use stars for both you & the wife.

but there is some maintenance work to do ;)

Create two custom fields, of type Integer, call them A & B.

Rate your songs, when done, select rated tracks and then Library->Move/Copy fields from Rating to A, You want to move so it clears the ratings field for the next user. When done you move to that persons rating field.

Now smartlists can pick a mix based on your common interests and also tell who has not rated tracks and which.

Chad

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 03:57:25 pm »

My, that's an interesting workaround.  Better than the tedious alternative, I suspect.

Thank you.

- Chad

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 06:53:11 pm »

Here's an idea and can use stars for both you & the wife.

but there is some maintenance work to do Wink

Create two custom fields, of type Integer, call them A & B.

Rate your songs, when done, select rated tracks and then Library->Move/Copy fields from Rating to A, You want to move so it clears the ratings field for the next user. When done you move to that persons rating field.

Now smartlists can pick a mix based on your common interests and also tell who has not rated tracks and which.

I wonder who came up with this idea first (lol).  But my setup has some advantages...they are quite similar, though.  I don't use the move/copy fields.  Instead, I manually copy the ratings between (in a bi-directional mode).  I create a playlist called Rating: Incorrect -->

""""([Rating]=[1] -=[1]) or (=[1] -[Rating]=[1]) or ([Rating]=[2] -=[2]) or (=[2] -[Rating]=[2]) or ([Rating]=[3] -=[3]) or (=[3] -[Rating]=[3]) or ([Rating]=[4] -=[4]) or (=[4] -[Rating]=[4]) or ([Rating]=[5] -=[5]) or (=[5] -[Rating]=[5]) ~sort=[Rating]"""""

The great thing about this is that we have multiple databases, one for each user, but other users can rate songs for us.  Not that we want them to, but say I'm listening to a song and someone (in the audience, lol) shouts out, "HEY...I LOVE THAT SONG...rate 'er 5 for me!"

No prob!  I don't have to go crazy switching libraries or accounts.  The reason this works is because now when that user who shouted logs on, he or she will notice an item where the [User's Rating] field is filled and the stars is not.  Or, there may simply be a discrepancy between the two values.  In this case, the user can think...hmmm, which rating is correct?  Therefore, there is a verification system in place!

Congratulations, my system is amazing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up