INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume upload adjustment for a miniSD card (for use in phone), possible?  (Read 1379 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I just tried uploading music to a 1Gb miniSD card for my cingular 8125 and I can barely hear the music through the headphones.  I tried to set MC to increase the volume on transfer, but that is not an option for either the card or the phone (which wouldn't have enough room anyway).

Has anyone had this issue also?  Did you find a good resolution?

Did the volume adjustment move again?  I can't connect my iPod (missing cable) to check if it's still there for the iPod.

If it's not possible now, can it be changed to allow for this in the future?

I'm using v12.
pretend this is something funny

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

You could use MP3Gain for processing the files (if the format is mp3), but only if the files are quieter than usual and do not contain full dynamic range.

Usually recordings already have peaks that reach the maximum possible digital level. Increasing the volume level in the audio files would cause digital clipping and audible distortion.

In theory an audio compressor could be used for increasing the average volume level (radio stations have used compressors for decades), but unfortunately most modern recordings are already overcompressed. This phenomenon is often called as "loudness race" or "loudness war". Here's a YouTube video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ and here's a link to a wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war.

iPod is a different beast because it can use the "sound check" value from its database if the used PC software included this value. However, this can only alter the playback volume setting after the files are decoded.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

Thanks Alex.  I was afraid that would be the answer.

I was actually quite surprised that the volume was so low while listening through the phone.  I have 2 players installed on the phone (one is Windows Media Player), and they both have real low volume.  I guess that's still not a viable solution yet.

Oh well.

If anyone has experience with listening to music on a portable PC phone, specifically any variant of the HTC Wizard (8125, MDA, etc), I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
pretend this is something funny

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Hi Justine,
I use a HTC Hermes based phone with WMP and also at first thought everthing was very quite but found the solution (at least for me).  There are TWO volumes you need to adjust, 1 is the overall Device Volume (from the Top Right Icon), the second is then in WMP.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up